general electric workshop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• general electric workshop?

does anyone know anything about this brand of lathe?

woodyindy --

Back in the mid to late 1960's, General Electric marketed a line of portable power tools -- drill motor, saber saw, sander, and I think a few other pieces -- that were "modular". A single motor-and-handle portion would snap onto a specific-tool front end, the idea being to reduce the overall cost of a full set of tools by not having to duplicate the motor.

"General Electric Workshop" brought GE's failed venture into the portable power tool market to my mind immediately, which then brings forward the possibility that the lathe was another module that connected to the same motor. If so, it would probably be a wood lathe big enough to make chess pieces or pen bodies.

Of course, I could be all wet.

John

Comment

thanks for the info. I cant find anything on this machine. I will know more about it this weekend when i pick it up. Thanks again.
      <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by John Garner:
      woodyindy --

Back in the mid to late 1960's, General Electric marketed a line of portable power tools -- drill motor, saber saw, sander, and I think a few other pieces -- that were "modular". A single motor-and-handle portion would snap onto a specific-tool front end, the idea being to reduce the overall cost of a full set of tools by not having to duplicate the motor.

"General Electric Workshop" brought GE's failed venture into the portable power tool market to my mind immediately, which then brings forward the possibility that the lathe was another module that connected to the same motor. If so, it would probably be a wood lathe big enough to make chess pieces or pen bodies.

Of course, I could be all wet.

John
      </font>

Comment

Working...
      X