Is 5 in/lbs enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is 5 in/lbs enough?

I finally got my little dc motor to reverse. I swapped the field wires and the wires to the brushes and it runs the right way. So I got the wires all soldered back together and the thing reassembled and I'm sitting there speeding it up and slowing it down watching it go around and around. Well before I couldn't stop the thing with my hand and I still can't. It only has a 1/4 in. shaft so I put a little 1.5 in. pulley on it so I can watch it go round and round.
    Anyway I can stop it with my hand with the pulley. I was planning on hooking it up to the handwheel quill feed on my mill so I will have a power quill but I'm not sure if it's gonna be torquey enough. Any thoughts on this or should I just scrap it and find something more powerful. From the factory it had an 1/8 hp motor on it. I guess it was something to do...

------------------
    Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga
    Techno-Anarchist

This is an ENCO power feed isn't it? What kind of gear reduction does the unit have? The output shaft that drives the table is what does the work. Most table drives are in a 135-150 inch pound output range. Downfeed will get by with less than that.
    Jim H.

Comment

JC..I think hoffman is "rolling his own" quill feed the same as I am. I'm still working on a gear reduction unit for mine so I can work the motor at a higher rpm. I really don't think I can stall my GM wiper motor very easily. Guess we'll see.
      I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

I'm using the control fronm an old enco table feed to power this other motor. I'm not sure if it'll be powerful enough.
        Techno-Anarchist

Comment

If you can stop it with your fingers - it is too gutless. You can of course increase torque by increase of leverage (gearing down the motor) - this decreases your slew rate however and should only be used as a last ditch effort in cost cutting.

Start with a NEMA 31 sized motor and you should be ok. A NEMA 23 (2.3" diameter) is probably too small unless you get a longer high torque (usually 3-6" long) unit but these cost more than the thinner larger diameter (3.1" diam.) NEMA 31 motors.

You should not need to go to a 4" servos unless you have a bridgeport or other heavier mill and intend on doing serious HD milling then consider units in the 2-4,000 inch/Lb. and active servo loop category along with high grade ball screws. This will give you professional grade performance (at a higher investment cost, but still worth the greater performance)

Comment

Working...
          X