Electric Wheelchairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Wheelchairs

I have a chance to pickup a couple electric wheelchairs. I want them for the servos and the control system.

Would these motors be good for automating a shop machine?

Jerry

The motors are DC voltage not regular 110 AC.
    Living By the Square and On the Level

Comment

Actually they are pretty good, 24vdc Usually A good voltage to find transformers for.

The Riva brand chair Dave had, it was good to ride down the road at obscene speeds. For the first twenty-five feet it launched like the 71 Camaro I had then (it'd near pull the wheels off'n the ground)

Not sure what you got thou, the other one he had was so lame it'd get stuck on the crack between the porch and house.

David

Comment

David,

These are coming from a nursing home that is on the pricey side, so they will be good ones, but I don't know the brand yet. I know I can get a 24volt transformer from any furnace supply place. The rectifier is a simple one, Rat Shack.

I have been promised (they have always kept their word in the past) that I would get these that are still working unless other wise labeled.

Jerry

Comment

Our electric company puts on a show for the shareholders every year.Last year,the band was Three Dog Night (remember them?).An elderly lady was up near the stage in her electric chair when they started playing.Guess she didn't like classic rock because she had to be doing 50 when she went by us!!! Oxygen bottle was trailing her like she was deep sea fishin'.Her Hubby was trying to keep up and losing.Good thing she wasn't on gravel or the band would have been pelted with rocks....
          If I got it right first time,everytime....I\'d have a real job!

Comment

by all means yes, they have good parts all over them( i have fixed lots of them too)

they use the parts on junk yard wars and mythbusters tv shows too.

Comment

If they're anything like the scooters, you'll need a heavy transformer. The motor will pull about 15-20amps. The scooter I worked on had a 30A circuit breaker. You may want to run it off batteries (2x12v) and use a smaller transformer to keep them charged. That's what I do with one of my tools.

Forward, reverse and variable speed. With fully charged batteries, I couldn't run as fast. Very fun to ride.

Comment

You'll be surprised probably to find out the current needs to be about sixty or better amps. It should have a wattage somewhere on there.

Before you plunk down the money on the transformer. I got three I took out of a hyster battery charger. Lemme check the voltage/taps on them. They are open frame type, so you'll have to build a box.

I am keeping one for my plating systems if I ever get that far. They are heavy, probably about sixty+ pounds each. It'll take a tuff-tote and some great stuff foam to ship in too.

Ya got one for shipping costs if it can work for ya. The other two I think I'll rathole.

David

Comment

Jfsmith,
                  I picked up an old wheel chair in a scrap metal place, and the motors were good. We built a robot with them. I used a control board from this gentleman (nice guy, reasonable price no relationship):

http://members.tripod.com/~divelec/w.../wcmotors.html

Some notes about the motors I discovered. My motors were meant to fail safe, don't want anyone freewheeling down the hill if power should turn off. My motors had a magnetic clutch/ brake which was disengaged when power was sent to the motor.Power off stopped the motor. As we didn't want to waist battery power for this feature in our robot, we removed the clutch. The control board I bought had some cool features. It was controlled by a RC car controller, or with some additional wiring could be controlled with a Basic stamp.

Don't know what you are trying to automate, but I could see a very cool remote control power feed for your milling machine made out of these motors. Lotsa torque from your easy chair

Comment

Working...
                  X