Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collets 5C : Chuck or Collets Closer

Hello
    I have a 13 1/2 x 40 lathe for hobby machinist and wish to use collets 5C, I have nice drawings for both, the chuck and the collets closer, and a lot of patience, I am hesitating what to do,as I have no experience in using collets 5C. Comments will be very well receive
    Have a nice day
    Paul

Paul

The Bison is an exceptional chuck - well worth consideration. New England Brass also has the the new 4" direct mount - cheap.

If you are a careful machinist and you have a MT#5 taper headstock an adapter sleeve and clossing tube is easy to make.

What ever you figure you have more of time/patience or money. Me, I would buy the Bison - you will not be sorry.

Comment

How common are 4C collets in North America? 5C's are plentiful and cheap over here in the UK but 4C's are like Rockin' horse s.... Just my luck that my machine was designed to use 4C's!!! I've been toying with the idea of going to a Bison 5C chuck; now after your comments Thrud, looks like I'm going to go that way too.

RR

Comment

... that's a funny analogy: rocking horse sh.. Never heard that one before.
        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Thrud,
          How much is the Bison? Jim
          Non, je ne regrette rien.

Comment

I have four of the 5-C chucks between work and home. I also have several of the drawbar closers. There is no is no doubt the chuck is safer as the hand wheel is not spinning off the end of the lathe. Having a small shop problem it also means I can place my lathe closer into a corner. So find plans for a 5-C closer and build it or buy one from New England Brass or MSC or? and then build and sell widgets to pay for the chuck.
            Thrud---If your rocking horse does poop on the carpet, just go out to the airport and get a bucket of "prop wash" to clean up the mess.

Comment

chief:
              check out www.brassandtool.com

Stepside
              Used to have a wood horsey - Mom did not like shoveling up the wood blocks after it so we traded it for a Choo-Choo.

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 07-18-2002).]

Comment

Working...
              X