X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thrud
    replied
    trap:
    Now you know why I say red heads are "bad" luck. I try to warn everyone, but that would mean I had to hang around and listen to the bitchin' & moanin' about how rough she had it as a child (she didn't - she was daddy's little girl). Meanwhile my twin sisters and I got to enjoy the thrill of regular beatings with a army issue pistol belt!

But I am not bitter. Not me - no sir. But I can't stand redheads for some reason...

And you can buy Bag Balm anywhere else but Alberta - I don't get it. We are being lead by nincompoops - Invade soon.

Leave a comment:

• trap
    replied
    Dave

Four machine cleaners huh !!!!! But now she has red hair? Whoa stop wait ...... I'm a tuff guy and push my luck sometimes but I have tried red heads before and think I would rather go swimming with a 460v cable.

This old guy won't wear any gloves around machines or neckties in fact I rarely wear a shirt or long pants ..... love the tropics.

no bag balm in Canada? No wonder you want the US to invade.

trap

Leave a comment:

• Thrud
    replied
    Scott

"Bag Balm" is prohibited for sale in Alberta unless prescribed by DVM. The cows ask for it by name...

Your point is well taken - my point was if you are that close in the first place you are screwed anyway with skin tight gloves.

Leave a comment:

• spope14
    replied
    No gloves allowed in my shop at my school - period. The latex / nitrile gloves may stretch and brek, thus be safe in this wy, but the factor of surprise ie in effect here. The glove gets snagged, and the hand nautrally follows for a second until the mind grasps the action, and pulls back.

A machine running at 500 RPM gives you one revoultion to pull back, or .12 seconds to make that decision. By the time one second has passed, the machine has rotated 8+ times. With an 8 inch chuck on the machine, your glove would have to be 12.56 inches long for one revolution, or 100 inches long. I do not recall a glove stretching that long. Besides, it would take about 1/2 to 1 second for your mind to react anyway, thus your arm is a part of the machine by now.

I have used barrier cream - Glove in a Bottle I think it is. Got mine from a local pharmacy - nurses use this - though I do NOT think it is a good replacement for aids and Hep prevention.

As for the cracking of the hands - BAG BALM - I did some concrete work yesterday, this will beat hands to death. Bag balm on before the work, and immediately after the work. Doing fine now. Forgot my Glove in a bottle at the shop......

The cutting oil thing and the liver - new stuff is generally safe, but I still stick by the Trim 300 stuff, Black oil, and Edge Lube as my choices - all fairly safe. I am careful with specialty tapping oils.

Leave a comment:

• docsteve66
    replied
    as a salesman, dave , you need Carniege (spelling?) training. It is obvious you are doing a bait and switch on Trap. If you want to keep your sis, you gotta be smooother! You build her up to unreasonable expectations.

Leave a comment:

• Thrud
    replied
    Trap

Why in hell would you want a Red-Haired Screech Monster when you could just sit in the corner and hit yourself in the head with a ballbeen hammer until it feels good? You want her, she's all yours - but you can't bring it back either (no refunds or returns accepted). It has four rug monsters too that come with the "package". I will throw in a free brick so you can crush it with your head while recite the mantra "I should have listened to the 400Lb. gorilla - WHACK - ..."

I know, you are a sado-masochist and enjoy pain - go for it. Oh yeah, she is ugly too. Even uglier than Brent! At least Brent shaves.

Steve
    I may have been a 600 lb. gorilla once - now it is the slim & trim 411 lb. gorilla! And damn good looking in the dark - I might add. I am short for my weight - if I was a foot taller - or longer - it would fit better...the weight, smartass!

Leave a comment:

• docsteve66
    replied
    Trap!!!!!! I am waiting to see how that 600 pound gorilla dances on this one
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• trap
    replied
    uh .... my naked fingers can feel .0001 or so. maybe a 1/16th with gloves on. willing to accept punishment of dating your sister, but are you willing to accept me if she likes me?

Leave a comment:

• Thrud
    replied
    Jeep

Be carefull or as punishment you will be force to date my sister! (I would be praying the drill killed me instead of that)

On the serious side I am sure OSHA would approve of Nitrile gloves - they are skin tight and if you get that close you brought the pain on yourself by being stupid.

Leave a comment:

• jeep225
    replied
    Long sleeves and jewely biggest no no's in any shop of any kind as far as im concerned.

When I first started machining I ran a bank of drill presses drilling some cast iron parts. I was allowed to wear glooves because of the mess cast iron makes. let me tell ya there was a chip hanging off a 1/2 drill bit that i treid to knock off and next thing I knew arm was wrapped around drill spindle and bogging down the motor. It didnt feel good and swear my wrist was sore for a week.

So naked is good.

Leave a comment:

• bluechipps
    replied
    look for a hand creem skin protectant. theres all sorts of different kinds. some simply make it easier to wash off grees, others actually make it harder for stuff to absorb into your skin.

only down side is there all water soluable, so they're rather infective on water based cutting fluids. but i still have a contaner near by for myself.

some cutting oils are verry dangerous, ie the easy tap incident (killed off lots of old machinists). I'd still use gloves for some things, best to check with msds

------------

Woried about saftey eh, my school says we need to have long sleeves so we dont get burnt from flying chips and sparks. go figure?
    I'll take my chance with the hot chips. over getting my sleeve caught in something and ripping off an arm.

[This message has been edited by bluechipps (edited 07-14-2002).]

Leave a comment:

• mike thomas
    replied
    And sometimes it's a good idea to wear those one fingered gloves too. Mike

Leave a comment:

• Jaymo
    replied
    I'm a mechanic and I've been wearing latex gloves on the job for the past 5 years. Seems I got tired of the painful, bleeding cracks I'd develop on my fingers. I've gotten my gloves caught in all manner of tools and machines. Each time the glove would rip. My hands have never been injured as a result. If anything, the gloves have prevented more injuries than I would have expected. Come on, we're not talking welding gloves. We're talking about tight fitting surgical gloves.There is a ppossibility that they could get caught and you could get hurt. The important thing to remember is to keep your hands away from spinning objects. Nowadays I always ask myself "can I get hurt this way?" before I put my hands ANYWHERE.

Leave a comment:

• jeep225
    replied
    MSDS should be available or made available for oils, solvents, etc from manufactorer or vender

Leave a comment:

• abn
    replied
    Thanks for the replies...

I do not intend to call OSHA on my school, I was just looking for something in print from a reputable source regarding health effects of oils and fluids to bring up to my instructor one on one. Or something that proves my concerns wrong.

I've been using latex and nitrile gloves for about seven or eight years now...mostly for wrenching and lately for machining. Latex is good for one job before they break, nitrile is a bit better. I wholeheartedly trust my reaction time with these gloves because by the time I'm that close to the blade, tool, or work it would have been skin anyway...so I think the couple thousandths advance warning the glove gives me can be an asset. Once again, I've worked with them a long time now so I know that they tear very easily in practice. These are the Harbor Freight type gloves not a thick kitchen or solvent tank glove or something.

Just trying to balance the risks...I know people who've worked many years exposed to oils and fluids...but then I know people who work with fiberglass resins wearing only a dust mask, I know body shop guys who prime without a respirator, some electricians who worked around asbestos, some who smoked all their lives, and the list goes on. Some appear to have no affects, others not so lucky.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X