No announcement yet.

Motor issue with my South Bend, Help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor issue with my South Bend, Help...

Happy New Year! I just perused the achieves and found no answers. I recent purchased a 1960’s South bend Heavy 10 set up supposedly for 110v. Initially when I got power to it the ground was questionable. I fire up the motor and as it wound up to speed it would trip shut off and then wind back up trip and shut off. My first thought was that there might be a grounding issue. I re-established what I consider to be a better ground but the issue still persists. I am not sure if I am starving the motor for power, if there is something wrong with the motor, or? I do know that the motor can run on 110 or 220 but an electrician recommend leaving it set to 110. Something to the fact that it has been wound up that way for 35 years and it should stay like that. Please any advise would be great appreciated as you’all always do me justice.

It sounds like there may be an open in the run windings. A single phase motor starts on one set of windings. When it reaches speed, power to these winds is shut off and it runs on the run windings.

Open the connection cover and look for a disconnected or broken wire. It is hard to tell exactly what to look for, as there are many different connections.
    Jim H.

Comment

woody,i had a similar problem with a chicom motor.turned out to be the main on/off switch on the machine,but you should check the centrifugal starter switch inside the motor,if this is not tripping,the motor will run on the starter winding only,like jch said.sometimes the contacts burn out,or the spring mechanism gives up.hope this helps.happy new year.hans

------------------
      Hans
      Hans

Comment

yep, sounds like the centrifugal switch is not kicking out. Probably from sitting too long in one spot. Take it apart and clean it, relube and go go go!
        Jim, By the river enjoying life...

Comment

Actually, it sounds like the centrifugal switch is working fine, the run windings are not taking over when it cuts out. It slows down, switch kicks back in it speeds up, cuts out again.
          Jim H.

Comment

How do varyify this issue with the run windings?

Comment

If the motor is cycling on and off by itself when powered up, which I believe is the problem you are describing, that verifies the problem is with the run windings.

You will have to dismantle the motor and inspect connections. There are two sets of windings. It is hard to tell apart on some motors depending on insulation and varnish, but one will be of much heavier wire. The heavy gauge windings are the start, the smaller gauge are the run windings. Look for a bad connection or loose wire on the run windings.
              Jim H.

Comment

Working...
              X