Swirl finish ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swirl finish ????

Hi guys, I could use some help. I’ve seen finish work on guns and other machine work that had a swirl or overlapping circular finish machined into the surface. My guess is they used a wooden dowel or other blunt ended material to make the patterns. How is this done? Do I need to buy or build a tool? I would like to use this surface on some parts of the small stationary steam engine I am working on. Thanks Mel

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
    Oregon Coast

Most of us call this an engine turned finish. You can use a dowel and compound among other things.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Fo...ML/004876.html

Comment

Thanks Joel, your link helped a bunch, I just didn't know what to look for.
      thanks again Mel

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
      Oregon Coast

Comment

........Done on a Steyr M95 straightpull, conversion to 30-40 Krag:

This may have been covered by the thread address Joel supplied, but I prefer to use a small stainless cup brush and coarse valve lapping compound.

I put a piece of shrink tubing (and shrink it)on the brush, to help maintain the shape of the brush longer. For a small tight swirl pattern I will add one or 2 tiny rubber O rings to the brush. Also you don't force it against the work as hard.

About a 3-4 second dwell does it. Of course it depends upon how polished the part is. The higher the polish, the less time is required. I like the wire brushes because they do well in following odd contours and get into corners well.

Best,
        Rick
        Son of the silver stream ..... Bullet caster.

Comment

Damn nice work Buckshot. Did you use a bolt jeweling jig for it? Have been messing around with this, practicing on old government model hammers and such. Maybe someday mine will be half as good as yours.

John B
          John B

Comment

Most the swirl polishing I have done is with stainless or aluminum. You can roll a very tight wrap of emery cloth in a fashion like a cigarette, chuck it up and go to war.

Laying out a crosshatch before hand is a must. You can see flaws in where you put the centers. Last big thing I did was a custom dash for a 51 studebaker truck. I then powdercoated it clear over the swirl aluminum.
            I did a tank cover for my fatboy, it did not have the dash speedo and all that crap between the two tanks. I bent the stainless up, polished it to a mirror polish, then engine turned it in a old tabletop drill press.
            Problem? well since it faced the rider at a angle the sun when it was overhead reflected right into your face. Too damn bright. It sure was shiny thou. I sold that bike to buy my cnc mill.

David

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 01-03-2005).]

Comment

I've used a piece of ScotchBrite pad cut in a circle with a punch, mounted with glue on a short length of brass rod (with a diameter slightly less than the SB pad so as to soften the edges) and it worked pretty good.

John

Comment

Check with your dentist. They use rubber that has an abrasive impregnated in it. It is about .250" diameter and about an inch long. High speed in the drill press, and it works like a dream.
                Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)

Comment

Cratex products (rubber impregnated with abrasive) can be purchased from J&L or MSC work real well.

Comment

Brownells also sells cratex rods as well as brushes and compound. One can also use pencil erasors.

------------------
                    Paul G.
                    Paul G.

Comment

Working...
                    X