Grizzly does not want to help with their miskake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grizzly does not want to help with their miskake

I ordered a dovetail cutter from Grizzly 12-26-04, and was never given an option for shipping. Have ordered over $2400.00 worth of merchandise in the last few months from them. They have always shipped UPS, so that is how I assumed it would be sent. I was notified that it was sent out on the 27th by First Class Mail. All First Class or Priority Mail I receive has to go to a PO Box. I E-=Mailed them and got a reply back that they would have to wait till the 10th of January before they would re-send this Item.
    Hoping that somehow I might get it at my PO Box, I waited till this morning after I picked up the mail and called Grizzly and explained what had happened and the girl admitted that Grizzly should had caught the address has all my billing is listed with them is a PO Box. I explained that I need this cutter for a project now and couldn't wait till the 10th, and would they re-send it now. The girl had me hold on while she checked with a someone else. She came back and said there was nothing they could do till the 10th of January. I hope they are happy losing a customer for an item under $20.00
    Don

Not cool of them....but I never stop at the girl on the phone.....ask to talk to someone above them and then if you don't get satisfaction you can feel justified in not dealing with them anymore.

And if you DO get satisfaction, you can fantsize about the lacky girl getting reprimanded for her sorry assed customer service skills.

Good luck,

John

Comment

Stay away from Grizzly at all costs...

-3Ph

Comment

I bought a $60 5/8" keyless chuck from them once. When the chuck arrived, there was also a "flyer" in the box with the same chuck for $30. I called up Grizzly to get a "price adjustment" but they said "There is nothing we can do" so I told them I wanted to return the $60 chuck and they said "ok -- There will also be a 10% restocking fee (10% of $60)". I forget the words I used, but they were not very nice. Unforuntatly, I've placed many more orders with them after that and regret every single one.

Just say NO to Grizzly.

-3Ph

Comment

I deal with Grizzly on a minimal basis. The only reason I have any dealings with is my Grizzly Surface Grinder and when the warranty is up, I will not deal with them at all.

But I did have one good experience with them, I bought a set of racketing tap holders, one broke, they sent me a new one right away. I fixed the old one and gave it away. These racketing taps holders a joke, but the customer service at that moment was really great.

Jerry

Comment

Bought a level from them.

Chinese junk, bottom like a banana, rested on 3 of 4 corners on the granite flat.

Called them. Got a call tag, free shipping back, they picked up the shipping TO me as well, and gave the refund.

I didn't want another one, and I have done no biz with them since, but I thought that was pretty classy behaviour.
            CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
            Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
            Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
            I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
            Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

My one and only Grizzly purchase....a magnetic base lamp. Left in the box a couple of months before trying. First time out the gooseneck broke off of the mag base. Only a turn or two of thread engagement. Switch also seemed to be kind of marginal.

Asked for a refund, nope, it's past 30 days.

So ended our short business dealings.

Apparently, they've cleaned up their act a little since then, but I hold grudges.

Comment

Never had any trouble with Grizzly.Bought a cabinet saw from them,trucking company bent the tilt shaft,I called same day as it arrived,gave them the part#s of the broken parts,next day UPS overnight package shows up F.O.C.with all parts.

HF,Enco ,Jet and Delta can kiss my a-- sideways thou,they are s.o.bs to deal with.
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I have had extremely good dealings with Grizzly. Over the years, I have bought a table saw, mill, lathe, lots of smaller items. No problems.

I did have one part break on the lathe, and they sent me a replacement within 2 days. I have also had good luck returning things I didn't like.

I also placed an order for a shell mill, arbor, and a few other items on Monday at 2pm. Package arrived UPS ground Tuesday at 9:30am. Yeah, ok, so I am in the same state, but I thought that was pretty good.

Comment

I find this topic interesting. Not because it's Grizzly, but the idea of it all...

I mean, you know Grizzly, like Jet and ENCO and others, are importers. If you buy something from them, you're getting a "cheap import" if not an outright copy.

This, from the same group in Koyamas thread whining about the business lost to those foreign companies that make the stuff.

J Tiers bought a level- and I'll bet he bought it there because it was cheap, right? I mean, if he needed an absolutely, guaranteed-accurate level, he'd have bought a Starrett, right? One presumes he knew it was an import, and one presumes he knew that imports aren't always as good as a "name brand".

When the import didn't live up to his specs, he returned it- which they did, apparently, quickly and politely- but he implies he's done no further business with them, not will do further business with them. Because the cheap import wasn't as good as a name brand that probably would have cost six times as much.

Others expect Griz to honor a warranty that's expired, or berate them for a relatively minor shipping mixup.

Again, all this about a company that's a well-known importer of foreign knockoff tools, from a group that rather loudly complains about the loss of US jobs and products to makers of foreign knockoff tools.

Curious.

Doc.
                    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Well Doc, It might have been a minor shipping mishap, but they admitted it was their mistake and wouldn't correct it. I started this post not only to voice my opinion , but also after posting , I sent this Forum page to Grizzly to put the pressure on them. I got a reply back, saying they were sorry for the mistake but did nothing to correct it. If the do correct it within the next few days, I will post that here also.
                      Don

Comment

Doc Nickel wrote "When the import didn't live up to his specs, he returned it- which they did, apparently, quickly and politely- but he implies he's done no further business with them"

I believe more often the problem is the import doesn't live up to the seller's specs. Importers are very liberal with the terms "accurate, high precision", etc. Even if the item is priced at 1/6 the price of a quality domestic item you have a right to expect it to meet their claims. That's where I find fault with the importers, the equipment is just not up to the quality they promote it to be.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Doc Nickel:

J Tiers bought a level- and I'll bet he bought it there because it was cheap, right? I mean, if he needed an absolutely, guaranteed-accurate level, he'd have bought a Starrett, right? One presumes he knew it was an import, and one presumes he knew that imports aren't always as good as a "name brand".

When the import didn't live up to his specs, he returned it- which they did, apparently, quickly and politely- but he implies he's done no further business with them, not will do further business with them. Because the cheap import wasn't as good as a name brand that probably would have cost six times as much.
                          </font>
                          Doc, you missed the point. You are not in the same UNIVERSE with the point.

And who is Kolyama?

I would not have bought a Starrett, correct. Never.
                          Because the capability isn't worth that much to me.

I tried teh Grizzly, yes. Because I COULD afford that to get that capability. A level isn't a camera, it is fairly easy to get it right.

I could MAKE a level if I cared to. And I will Guarantee you that if I did it would be better than the Grizzly I got. But I do NOT want to.

No, Doc, you missed the point.

Since when does less expensive turn into "does not need to be right"? Does a cheap radio fail to cover the whole FM band? NO. A cheap radio may not recieve a distant station, and may have more distortion, a lesser tuning precision, etc, etc. But it "functions", i.e. it gets all the stations in the band if they are strong enough.

Grizzly sold me a level, that was supposed to be functional and sensitive to 0.0005 per 10".

It had defects which rendered it totally non-functional. You could get any reading you wanted, by moving it a little.

No doubt, some of their levels actually DO meet that 0.0005 per 10", and have flat bottoms. I did not get one, so their QC is clearly bad.

Their price does NOT relieve them of the responsibility to sell what they describe, and have it be what they describe.

I have not bought from them again, because I do not trust them and their QC to get stuff right in detail areas where next time I may not be able to check.

I HAD A GRANITE FLAT to check against, and lots of blue, so I could priove the problem.

Another poor sap might NOT. What was he supposed to think as he tried to level his lathe? I wish him luck, whoever DID eventually buy that very same POS (oh, yes, I think they sold it again), he'll need it.

Besides, Doc, your house is full of chinese stuff. The fact that you are on this forum proves it. You are probably NOT running an old Vax 11-70 to view the forum, nope, its a new computer, MADE IN CHINA like every other one there is.
                          CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                          Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                          Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                          I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                          Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

I don't have a problem with any of the products Grizzly sells. They are what they are. I have a problem with the way they do business and treat some of their customers.

-3Ph

Comment

No, Mr. Tiers, you missed my point as well.

My point is that this group, a fair number of this boards' regulars, have regularly complained of all the "lost jobs" caused by foreign manufacturers- most recently in this thread made by a representative of a Chinese manufacturer.

And yet this same group is also more than happy to buy from a company that is well-known as nothing more than an importer!

This same group, two minutes after bitching about jobs lost to "Chinese knockoffs", will recommend buying a Harbor Freight tool to someone, or point out that ENCO (another mostly-imports dealer) has a new flyer with a free shipping code on it.

Bashing the "Chinese" as rip-off artists and Communist, government-supported mass-producers of junk copies is VERY popular on this board. We rarely go a week without somebody pointing out another American company struggling because sales are down, or bashing Wal-Mart or K-Mart for selling such cheap, shoddy products.

And just as often we have a thread recommending some import product- a Harbor Freight mill-drill, a Grizzly 12X36, an ENCO carbide grinder.

I see a LOT of reccomendations for replacing old, worn out chucks with Bisons. I know they're Polish, and better quality than the average Asian import, but it's still an import. Nobody recommends an American Buck chuck. Too expensive.

No one wants to buy American, it seems, unless it's an old 60s Bridgeport or a 40s South Bend.

But by golly, we're more than happy to complain about Bridgeport filing Chapter 11 or South Bend closing their doors after 97 years.

Mr. Tiers- just out of curiosity, is that granite flat an American, presumably Starrett, or is it an import?

Doc.
                              Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Working...
                              X