Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by John Stevenson:

Rs,
    It was me that stated this. Allen posted a link to the correct bike but mark posted an incorrect photor.
    The 7R was only a single OHC and I stand by what I wrote.
    When was the 911 SOHC first built?

John S.
    </font>

John, didn't want to argue about it, I just saw the pics of a DOHC motor. I just looked at the link you sent and the head looks different that a 911. Specifically the fins around the exhaust. 911's have a two-bolt flange mount for the exhaust and the fins are "cut back" in that area. If in fact Porsche did steal the head design it is news to me. Anyway the 911 was first produced in 1964-65 and debuted as a show car in Europe in 62-63 (I'm not certain of the exact dates) I believe 1965 was the first year they were imported to the US. Something I'm also not sure of is the original 356 Carrera , I believe this was also a SOHC cam motor and the Carrera GS had DOHC both were 4 cyls. These might have been the basis for the 911 design, I don't know the year it was produced but it predated the 911. I admit I'm a little vague on the early years so I'll need to do some research.

------------------
    -Christian D. Sokolowski

[This message has been edited by rsr911 (edited 01-01-2005).]

Comment

Billh, if I ever do hit the lottery, I plan on building a twentyfirst century HEMI(unlike that other "hemi" that DaimlerChrysler is trying to pass off!) a 4.25bore/4.25stroke with Stage V heads and Ray Barton Valvetrain, Hydraulic Roller cam, EFI and a pair of Centrifugal Supercharges bolted to Richmond Six speed(with a BIG Ram clutch), delivering power to a 3.08 geared Dana 60 in either a Challenger or 'Cuda...

should make 1000HP+ and should get 10 miles to the gallon!

Can you "Snake Eater"?

HTRN

------------------
      This Old Shed
      EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

The older mechanical injection Cummins. High torgue, lower hp, over built lower end, and under appreciated (especially the 4 cylinders).
        John

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JPR:
          The older mechanical injection Cummins. High torgue, lower hp, over built lower end, and under appreciated (especially the 4 cylinders).</font>
          Would that be a 290?

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

My husband says thee desmodronic ducati 900 ss engines are the superb pieces of sculptured art. After owning two models in differant stages of tune they get the longevity and reliability awards in his eyes, The old 4.9 litre ford 6 cylinder and the 283 chev are good long mile rigs also. Happy new year,

Comment

best auto for reliability: slant six, The warden drove our duster three on the floor from Palatka to Orlando (approx. 80 miles)with little or no oil in the crankcase. I thought it was dead, cause it was smoking hot when she pulled in the drive! I mean the outside of the engine was literally smoking. After a cool down I put a new filter on and 5 quarts oil in her and expected to hear clanking like nobodies business. But not a sound. that engine is naturally balanced and built like a brick s house.
              Performance motor: 302 ford small block makes me smile every time. Had them over the pond wondering what hit them.
              Aero motor: GE's 2707-300, HP to weight ratio of 30 to 1. 70K thrust at peak. whoa daddy!
              Aero piston: Napier Sabre hp to wt.:1.2.
              and a sweet sound kind of like a bee on steroids.
              Worst engine: anything made by the french or belgians. Maybe the Italians for aero but not car engines.
              My two coppers
              Jim, By the river enjoying life...

Comment

The Chrysler flathead six was quite the engine. You had to really try to break one of those. Put 300K on one. Yes, I drive a lot. The car got mashed by a truck turning a corner, thus the end of that one.....

Had one of those "elephants" in a super bee we rebuilt in my younger says. Forgot about that, but we used to win every time we did the stock drags at the old bandimere speedway. i for got about it because a friend of mine bought it testing the "bee".

Had an Iron duke 4 cyl. At least that was what i was told. the old 1978 Monza I drove went 240K on that engine. Pops told me it was Iron Duke, as did a garage guy i knew. The 4 cyl cast engine in the old Monzas, 151's hard to find as thay also had that crappy little beer can 6 cyl and an 'economical' engine option. I drove the duke all over the place, all 240K were mine. The reason i got rid of the car was the same reason I got rid of all my cars. I drive them until somebody hits me and totals the car. 45 years old, have really owned but four vehicles of my own, each with over 240K miles on them but for the new ranger, which the goal is 500K.

My four cars - 1953 Cranbrook Flathead six (300K), 1978 Chevy Monza iron Duke (248K), 1984 Chev cavalier (248K), and my 1997 Ranger (only 53K). Other cars included many a beast built for fun and re-sale - probably about 50 by now.

I have rebuilt and drove and sold many cars with engines mentioned on this post. This is a great trip down memory lane. thanks for starting this post series........

[This message has been edited by spope14 (edited 01-01-2005).]
                CCBW, MAH

Comment

I worked at Delco-Remy advanced engineering in 76-77. You knew you were in for a long test when you had to hang your test set on the aluminum Vega block. It was hard to get 8 hours run time without the darned thing failing, and we were running 168 hour tests usually. Most of the cast blocks you could hang your stuff and then just collect it a week later...
                  I learned to drive on a '63 Dodge slant six. We had that old dog up to 116 mph once and it was still winding. Don't recall that car ever not starting, tho' the body rusted away in the US Steel Gary Coke Plant.

I'm going to vote for the first aviation motor, the inline 4 on the Wright Flyer. (Just back from the Tucson Air and Space Museum) They couldn't find anyone that would build them a motor, so they designed it themselves and had the local blacksmith cobble it together. Planned on 8 hp and got 12 out of it; how's that for exceeding your design expectations? What a set of marbles those guys had. It's a funky little motor, but my admiration for their endeavor continues to grow. So it deserves mention in this thread, I think.
                  I'm here hoping to advancify my smartitude.

Comment

.............You're correct about the Wright brothers. Just about everything they did was new, with no one to lean on or talk to. Saw something about one of them going to an Engineer's convention so he could bounce questions off of some others, about things they had questions on. Seems he left the convention when he realized he had more practical knowledge himself and there was nothing to gain.

One great little car I owned, which became my daughter's first car. A 1979 Ford Fiesta. Little 1600 cc 4 cyl pushrod British Ford engine, 4 spd manual trans. I drove 84 miles round trip to work. At 60K some miles I figured it needed a tune up, but all you could do was the plugs. Took the 4 out and they looked good. Gapped'em and put'em back in.

At 120K some miles one plug died so it got 4 new ones. At about 180K it got 4 more just for fun. At 228K I rebuilt the engine and gave it to my daughter. The engine was still running great. It would smoke a tiny bit when fired up but still delivered 34 mpg. I just figured it needed to be gone through.

A couple syncros in the trans were getting lazy but she wasn't going to be speed shifting :-). Never did replace the rear axle wheel bearings, but did grease'em a couple times. Put on 2 waterpumps and a couple alternators. Had the same starter and the 2V carb was never off.

Best,
                    Rick
                    Son of the silver stream ..... Bullet caster.

Comment

This is my first post on this forum. I have been lurking for a month or so.

In my mind regarding the best auto engine, and you cannot name names but you can name configurations because of the similarities between manufacturers.

IMO, the cast iron 90 degree OHV V-8. The American car manufacturers hit upon a good design and ran with it. This design, from the late '40's (Oldsmobile, Cadillac) is STILL in production, and is continuing to impress. The Chevrolet all-aluminum LS1 and now LS6 is a benchmark of power-to weight ratio, and makes 1 HP/cubic inch. It also only weighs 325 lbs. Here are some shining examples of this design:

Chevrolet small-block (nuff said)
                      Chrysler LA
                      Ford Windsor
                      Chevrolet Big-block
                      Chrysler B/RB including the hemi

Aero engines. Two distinct designs in this category:

Air-cooled radial
                      Water-cooled inline

Best of the best:

Rolls-Royce Merlin 1475
                      P&W 2800
                      P&W 4360
                      Daimler Benz DB605
                      Junkers Jumo 810
                      Allison 1150

Of course this is all strictly MHO...

Cheers

Mike

Comment

In my opinion, for a driver and mechanic friendly unit, the Ford Model “ A “ takes the cake.
                        The Caddy 45deg V16 we drove during WW2 was “ neat “ but needed too many valve jobs.

The Kinner 150HP 5 cyl radial I flew years ago ( mounted in a Meyers OTW biplane ) always started and never missed a beat. Had a loping sound not unlike my 1936 Harley 61cid bike.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                        X