Stainless steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless steel

Does anyone know what 18-8 means as it refers to stainless steel? In my books it is attached to several different types of stainless. I think it is a heat treat spec. If it is, what does it mean. Thanks for the help.

Joe

No, it's not a heat treat spec, it's an alloy. I think it's more or less equivalent to 303, but I may be wrong on that.

----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

No, nothing to do with heat-treat.

Just describes the relationship btwn the metallurgical ingredients in the recipe.

18 % chrome , 8 % nickel. Most of the rest is iron.

Comment

In an old Williams and Company "House of Metals" catalog the 18-8 is shown with several of the stainless alloys, 303, 304, 316, 321. In some examples: Type 316 18-8-SMO, Type 304L 18-8-S, Type 321 18-8-STI.

Dr. Rob, Do they hold the melt to 18% chrome and 8% nickel. The specs show a spread 18-20% for chrome and 8-10% for nickel.

It makes sence if the melt or heat is controled at these levels.

Joe

Comment

According to this it is the same base as 304,but has more chromium and less carbon.

http://www.aksteel.com/pdf/markets_p...Data_Sheet.pdf

AKsteel.com has lots of info on all stainless alloys.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Thanks for the information and site.

Joe

Comment

Working...
            X