Looking for something odd I think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for something odd I think

I am looking for a lathe that has a spindle bore of 1.375" or there abouts (larger ok, 1.25" might work also).

I dont care about the distance between centers as long as the tail stock can be removed.

I have looked at Grizzly, HF, Prazi and Tiag. Dont seem to have what I need.

Anybody know of a company with this?

Thank you!

Try looking for a used Sheldon. Some of them have the larger spindle bores. They're popular with gunsmiths for that reason.

Comment

The Grizzly 12x24 & 12x36 have a 1 7/16" hole through the spindle, the bigger machines have 1 1/2". I have a H.F. 12x36 with a 1 1/2" bore. I personally wouldn't get a lathe smaller than 12x36.

Comment

I have an 11" x 32" Logan (2-1/4"-8 threaded spindle) with a 1-5/16" spindle bore. I've seen similar ones available on Ebay (where, in fact, the previous owner got mine.)

Doc.
        Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

And why can't the tailstock be removed on the Grizz/Enco/HF 12x36. They had to put it there in the first place.
          Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

The South Bend Heavy Ten is 1-3/8" through the spindle. It is probably one of the smaller lathes available with this spindle bore. It is one of the better lathes for the HSM too.

I have a Sheldon 13 X 56.
            Jim H.

Comment

Spin Dr.

Maybe a bit of a miss understanding. I was thinking that maybe there is a mini lathe, 7x12 or something that is made with a large spindle bore.

I am trying to get a machine that is small, can handle some simple machining, drilling, taping and some small turning. For all that I need only about 6inches from the chuck for the tool work.

The rest of the length, 30+ inches is NOT for any tool work and then I can remove the tail stock (if needed) and mount the tail stock on a jig farther out. Great accuracy for the longer lengeth is NOT needed (of course the straighter you are the better)since there is no tool work at that lenghth and all I am doing is sanding some wood.

a 12 x 36 is fine and then I dont need to remove the tail stock. But its bigger than I need/want. Plus quite a bit more than a mini lathe.

Comment

Spin,

The tailstock CAN be removed on my Grizzly 12x36. No problem at all, you remove a screw that is between the ways and slide it off. Takes about 10 seconds.

------------------
                Paul in NE Ohio
                Paul in NE Ohio

Comment

Cuemaker, I'd look at the possibilities of opening up the spindle on a smaller machine to its absolute max ... or fabricating a new one with larger spindle bore. You could even change the bearings as required if there was enough beef around them to accomodate a larger outer race. Probably feasible on a belt driven machine.

South Bend had a smaller lathe with huge bore and I think it took 5C collets. I want to say it was a 9" model and am pretty sure I've seen a live one ... once.

Den

Comment

I saw a neat little lathe for cue making that was based on a sherline base model lathe, it was mounted in its own birch plywood "box" kind of like a rifle case but more rigid, maybe 7" by 15" by 4'the bax doubled as the bed extension. why do you have to have a large bore? maybe you could use a steady rest or cats head to stabilize the work? a sherline steady will hold 3" material(just barely) from what I remember. Is this for turnings/parts for the cue handle and tips? good luck, the more details we get the more we can help.

Samuel

Comment

you need the large bore in order to chuck up on the butt or the joint of the cue. A finished butt of a cue would require at least a 1.25 spindle bore. A finished joint is near 1 inch. I would want this particular machine to be able to drill and tape the joint, handle and butt of the cue. Of course unfinished size is larger than finished.

Comment

I don't know if you've seen the guys site;
                        http://www.gatzkecues.com/

------------------
                        Gene
                        Gene

Comment

Rob, go to www.cuesmith.com
                          He has just what you are looking for, from basic repair to cutting for points and inlays, Bobby

Comment

Cool website. The little lathe that you saw is a Hightower lathe.

Believe me, he has a much bigger lathe somewhere to turn the cues and probably the shafts too, unless he has a dedicated machine for shafts.

His Delux lathe is 1800 bucks. It does what I want but 1800 seems to be alot for what it is.

Comment

Both of the lathes at the above sites are based on Taig parts and pieces. The 'Erector Set' of lathes.

------------------
                              Gene
                              Gene

Comment

Working...
                              X