Wheel-barrow table for milling machine loads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel-barrow table for milling machine loads

I got tired of lifting things. I got tired of carrying heavy things. I made this table up out of scrap waterpipe and a old piece of rusty metal. I had two rollers laying around I put on one end, I just had two. Not three, not four. Then it hit me. If I put just two on there with handles I could wheel-barrow loads around on it and when I set it down it would be stable.

I did all the measurements in my head. Then had a brain fart and cut all four legs the same length. I had to either cut some off, or add some. Since I blowed the "down height" on my mill from memory I had to add.

Otherthings I would change? Make folding handles that lock in somehow. I have a bruise on each thigh from walking into them already. Them are rainy-day changes thou. It is 70+ here. I am outside welding and listening to the birds sing in the trees, squirrels are annoying Butch, that means he is not nudging the back of my leg with a ball in his mouth.

Thing laying on table? it is a robotic manipulator I have built before. It takes a square bar off the side running in a track under inline skate wheels carrying a chain or cable which loops over a sprocket or pulley. Positioning is done w/a Futaba RC airplane servo rotating a custom etched circuit board, Brushes attached to the sprocket shaft follow the circuit board switching on/off two 24vdc solonoids positioning the cylinder. Over the cylinder is a round reserve of vegetable oil that dampens "bounce" out of the arm. I can pick up loads of 150lbs with a cylinder this size on a 4' arm. Using only a $15 servo, a $65 SSCII Rs232 board and some solonoids and 24volt supply. You can build the whole bot if you have cylinders around for little or nothing. Pedastel (old car spindle w/disc and brake intact to LOCK), three joint arm and gripper runs off the same $65 8 channel board on different channels. You only have 270:1 positioning refrences thou. That sounds like a lot but on the end of a 4' arm it is "inches". Repeatability is the key, position your work in the same place each time. (My FOundry)
    So for half a dozen ebay solonoids, and about $100 you got a robot.

Cheers.. Cleaning up the shop.. and starting back on my dies for the hyd punch press. I just can't sit here.

------------------
    David Cofer, Of:
    Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 01-05-2005).]

Well, it's only 90F colder here. I haven't been out in the garage shop for anything meaningful for a week. Except for doing some wiring to put my welder back on line so I could weld up a broken part on the snowplow blade at -20f. I HATE working in chilly weather. I hope it doesn't get cold.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

It will

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Trees turned to crystal overnight for me. Got to play hookie since I don't have a snowmobile. There's a little snow on top of 1/2" of ice - perfect for risking your life to drive 30 miles to flip parts at work.

No thanks, I'll stay home and take pictures.

p.s. The little, frozen-looking building behind the house is my shop. It's a little bigger than it appears in the picture. It's every bit as cold as it looks in the picture. Sure wish it was just rainy and not so cold (except for the "staying home from work" part). Shop jones.

[This message has been edited by vinito (edited 01-05-2005).]

Comment

The trolley above the Milling machine on a swivel AKa John S: the english bloke,(He forgot to mention I'd need to turn a bushing for the lower hole in the bridgeport ram.) Note the Dentist sink swivel mount I removed from my tattoo chair and installed on my machine since this morning. It'll hold the monitor and the keyboard just fine and swivel down to the "Barber Chair" I plan on running the shop from, and do some programming in.

And one swivel over the hyd punch press, and the trolley over to the main 12" Ibeam in the big doors. You ain't allowed to see the press mods yet.

I think I'll have a beer, wish you were here. (I'd got less done thou)

Wish I had a picture of the pup, he has been nudging the back of my leg since the squirrels went inside thier trees. Clouding up.. might rain tomorrow.

I hit the "SORE THUMB" again. There was a GodSmack song playing on the stereo, I made a lot more noise than it did.. OOUWIE!!! The pup had to run over and sniff the fresh blood. I didn't realize I was bleeding again till I noticed I had put "locktite" on the bolts.. HA.. It was dripping out my glove.

Cheers.
          David

Comment

Evan: while welding, you do know to preheat the metal? Otherwise moisture forms on it as you weld making porous welds..

I have some temp stick pens somewhere you heat with a torch till the special wax melts. then weld away.

50 degree F is the minimum no preheat is needed. (sorry.. Nuclear welding class..) I hate to push what I know to someone who probably knowes anyways.. but others reading probably do not.

Hmm first beer is good.. Ain't getting out no more except to sweep up and lock the doors in the shop.

Sparkly MILL HAS A NAME, if John S can name his I can name mine.. Black Betty.. (bam the lam) A remake on a old song which was a remake on a old song.

David

Comment

The snowplow is designed to break safely at certain points when I hit something. Preheat is acomplished by a pass to one side of where I am going to weld the actual break. Come summertime the crap welds get ground off and done properly. The blade is designed so that if I hit something on either end it snaps the angle drive either at a bolt intended to shear or a welded arm, easily fixed. If I hit something square on down low like a rock the blade kicks over flat on low hinge points. If I hit something like a tree trunk square on then the frame that carries the entire blade assembly to the chassis pivots at top on two grade eight bolts when the two grade three bolts at bottom shear before anything else gives way.

So far in 17 years I have done all of the above without any repair taking more than a few minutes. Not bad for ground tackle.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Evan: I love your snowmobile/plow/antique. Kinda a good toy to have around. I got a old 4wd chev truck sitting here, but it is junk. too far gone for anything but a woods buggy.

Well.. That is a good reason to always sweep your shop up. I had a few embers smouldering away. Now they are outside on the concrete where they can do no damage. If I'd had two beers I could have put it out right. HA.. Kinda like Snuffy Smith on the bomber..

I been "gettin it" since about nine this morning. Now I am "gettin slowed down". Dang thyroid mediciene, either too much or too little. Kinda like I been speeding all day. (I do not do drugs) I do take what they tell me to. Except when they give me pain meds.. or anti-inflammatorys, or.. They overprescribe too much uneeded junk. Anti-inflammatories cause more trouble than they help mostly.

My shop sure is looking good, and much easier to work in.

David

Comment

Working...
                X