Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pics of projects to start the new year

Gentlemen and ladies if applicable,
    It's great to talk about bandsaw tires and lathe chucks and which milling machine is the best but how about posting some pics of a project that you completed this past year. Surely with all the talent and machinery out there, some of us have actually made something. If not in the past year, at least something interesting for all to see. I'll start off with this one. It was taken from HSM many years ago.

Happy New Year
    gbritnell

Here is my PsychoKart that I built from scratch this year:

No Brakes yet (Don't need em!) 5-gears to rip around in and slow/downshift into.

I still have to connect the Spedo and tac...
    But the rest of the gages work (Digital Gear shift indicator, oil pressure indicator, ignition, etc.):

Yup, this thing does look like it's going fast even when it's just sitting there.

Here's my custom made sprocket... 6061 wears down fast though..

Driver's view:

This thing is a monster!!!

-3Ph

Comment

And here are two older pictures before I finished it:

Rear end.... BACK OFF

-3Ph

[This message has been edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb (edited 01-04-2005).]

Comment

wow, All you need to do now is get a camcorder, and say "Yall watch this"
        LOL, better put brakes on it so its not a total death trap.

Comment

Mean looking racer but I think that you are only running on single phase if you don;t think that you need brakes on it .

gbritnell, that little engine is a real work of art. Very impressive.
          To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

ok, just for a minute lets asume it will go 40 or 50 mph? and you trust 3 3/8 bolts to hold the front axle onto the frame, yes get the camcorder, I would pay to see that....fall off.

Comment

I'm curious, just what is that item gbritnell posted a picture of?

Comment

3PH Cool looking machine. Will it mow the lawn or haul off the garbage! You do need to improve the front end a little . Keep the shiny side up and have fun??

[This message has been edited by lugnut (edited 01-04-2005).]

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                Oregon Coast

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IOWOLF:
                  ok, just for a minute lets asume it will go 40 or 50 mph? and you trust 3 3/8 bolts to hold the front axle onto the frame, yes get the camcorder, I would pay to see that....fall off.</font>
                  Those are 7/16" bolts but I would be fine with 3/8" too.

-3Ph

Comment

Sorry I didn't explain what I posted. It's called the Topsy Turvy engine. It's a vertical hit and miss made from bar stock.(Cast Iron) It's about 10" high. It's water cooled. The cylinder is pressed into the outer frame to form the water jacket. They ran a series of articles on building it about 10 years ago as I recall. I hope that helps.
                    gbritnell

Comment

George's engine is a very nicely done version of the Phil Duclos Topsy Turvy Hit & Miss Engine. Plans were in HMS.

Here are a couple of mine;

These the Little Brother and Fairbanks Eclipse. The LB is runnable, but I want to redo the ignition ala Duclos Odds & Ends. The Fairbanks is being finalized, should be running in a week or so.
                      I am pushing the completion of these so I can get started on a 1/2 scale Deere 1-1/2HP E I picked up at auction.

This is the Bill Harris steam roller. It is running on air. It needs to have piping trimmed out.

Painting will have to wait until warmer weather.
                      Jim H.

Comment

3phase...

You should look in to finding a better rear end for that...between the straight axle and the flexi-frame, I'm sure it handles fun, but is hard to control. A small sealed differential would help considerably.

If you can find them cheap, mountain bike shocks work ok for go carts.

One more thing...please put a roll-bar on it and 5point harness...and wear a damn good helmet. It's got wide enough wheelbase where it's not flipping unless you hit something, but I watched a guy hit a curb in an FSAE car...flipped three times...got lucky to walk away with only a badly bruised foot.

Oh...a 12 volt solenoid valve, air cylinder and onboard nitrogen tank make a real fun click shifter

Pretty damn cool either way. I've been wanting to build one of those for a while.

-Jacob
                        I trust the 7/16 bolts a hell of a lot more than anybody who would drive that thing

Comment

Here is a Windows video of a kart like mine:

GixxerKart

It might be better if you right-click on the link, then click "Save-As" to save the video to your disk before you play it.

-3Ph

[This message has been edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb (edited 01-04-2005).]

Comment

Nice video, yeh, I think you need brakes

Comment

brakes!
                              them things need parachutes!!
                              all the best..mark

Comment

Working...
                              X