HSM Magazine collection - Value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSM Magazine collection - Value?

I've been thinking that I'd like to eventually have a complete HSM collection.

So what would the current purchase value be?

A person on ebay is selling his collection from 1984 thru 1994, current bid is about $180. (Most but not all issues)

I'm thinking that would be a good starting collection. Except now that I've advertized it, I'll be out bid.

So the first issue was 1981 or 82?

I probably won't be able to afford a complete set right now, but some here and some there, over time. Plus, don't want to freak out the ol-lady all at once.

Tom M.

They can typically sell for $2.00-$5.00 per issue. Ten years at $180 is about $3.00 per issue, so it is in line.

An alternate to buying a complete collection of magazines is the purchase of the Village Press Projects books. These have most of the articles, and are in a much easier to deal with format.

I have the first six, and refer to them on occasion. You do miss the advertising and some other information, but most of the meat remains.
    Jim H.

Comment

Gosh, $2 to $5 per?

I paid about 25 cents an issue at an estate sale for everything from first issue to 1994, with some duplicates, and a few in the 96 to 99 range.

Wish I could fill it out with the missing ones, and add the old P.I.M. I found that often the letters, and the non-construction articles (not in the collections) were as interesting as the straight projects. Took me quite a while to go thru them, and I find I refer to them enough to warrant keeping them.
      CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
      Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
      Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
      I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
      Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

I personaly bid it to $175.00 and should go higher perhaps I will snipe it.

Comment

This sounds like a "dreaded advertiement post" and the self appointed forum police will be one this double quick
          Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

No, Spin Doctor, I'm not the seller. Honest.

I haven't decided if I can afford just yet.
            Hopefully, if I don't bid than IOWOLF will win it.

I forgot to ask if anyone has collections for sale, let me know.

When was the first HSM Publishd, 81 or 82 ?

Tom M.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spin Doctor:
              This sounds like a "dreaded advertiement post" and the self appointed forum police will be one this double quick </font>
              Is this a case of forum police police policing the forum police?

It is no different than asking the same question about a lathe or mill which often comes up here.

The $3.00-$5.00 is pretty typical of what back issues can be picked up at shows like Cabin Fever or other places, and is about what they sell for on eBay. I think Village Press sells back issues for $5.00, but many are no longer available.

Jim H.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mayfieldtm:

When was the first HSM Publishd, 81 or 82 ?
                Tom M.
                </font>
                I think it is this one Jan/Feb 1982.
                JRouche

Comment

It took me several years and some help from a friend, but I finally got every issue. I wouldn't consider selling the whole set for even $300. I agree that many issues are worth the $3-$5 range, but a few of them are incredibly hard to find. I have paid over $20 for such issues. The Jan/Feb 1982 issue was the first, but it is not the hardest one to find. Something happened one month (I don't remember which - might be May/Jun '82) and they didn't even print enough for their subscribers. They tried to make up for it by extending subscriptions or something - this is all hearsay, by the way. I have used my collection as a reference library as well as helping out other HSM's when they needed information on a project.
                  JHC Dayton, OH

Comment

You'll get a better price if you take out my my nude centerfold in the next issue.

Comment

Nar,
                      I'll leave it it to scare the yard dog.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

They must not print many extras. I didn't receive one last year, and when I called them, was told they had no copies of that month's edition left.
                        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

As an aside from HSM there was a set of Model Engineers sold here recently, privately.

It appears that this guy started taking it in 1898 when it first started. He had these bound by a local book binder and kep up until he died.
                          His son then carried on having these and also getting them bound.
                          When he died, his son kept it up.
                          recently he died but his son wasn't interested and sold the whole collection.
                          I believe it sold for آ£2000 UK pounds, sounds a lot bt it works out to about 10 pence a copy.
                          I have from 1944 to 2001 and these take up 10 foot of shelf space, the whoe set must be quite impressive.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by John Stevenson:
                            As an aside from HSM there was a set of Model Engineers sold here recently, privately.

I have from 1944 to 2001 and these take up 10 foot of shelf space, the whoe set must be quite impressive.

John S.
                            </font>
                            That's one of those things that you can't really turn down, but might not be that useful. How the blinking heck do you actually organize access so that you can look up an article?

The HSM article index on the VP site is OK, but not a "library quality" reference list. You have to know specifics. Did ME publish a listing?
                            CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                            Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                            Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                            I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                            Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

JT,
                              ME started publishing a pull out index for each volume in about the 60's and hence on, nothing before.
                              Certain people and clubs in the UK have got together and manually put an index together from vol 1 to present day.
                              This is an Excel file and it takes 4 sheets as it runs out of available space.

John S.

Comment

Working...
                              X