Sad end for a lathe, or a promising beginning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad end for a lathe, or a promising beginning

I found this lathe behind a relatives home. The compound is there, most guards, most parts, but missing the carriage apron that has the feed dives in it, and the gibs. No motor, but I have those.

Promise, or a sad end of a good machine.

CCBW, MAH

South Bend Model A with collet closer, and V pulleys? Who in their right mind would do that to such a lathe?

Comment

Weird needs that die in the background.

I think it was him.

David

Positive thoughts friend. I got things I neglect, someone else will discard them for me after I pass on. I suggest all you stay in touch with my widow. I plan on using them all a few more years.

Comment

It's a South bend - parts should be available.

It's not a Myford..8*), but unless it's completely fragged in some way that's not visible (like the quick-change gearbox is toast) it would be in the back of my Range Rover and on its way to my shop like it had wings...

Dig around in the debris on the ground - might well be that the parts are there, or that the relative that did the disassembly might have tucked them away somewhere else.

ajr

Comment

One man's trash is another man's treasure

Comment

I made a living for a couple of years picking up other people's failed dreams and finishing them.

I drove a bit, bought streetrods out of peoples back yards and finished them. They had of course suffered huge loss. But the Wife needed the Old car out of the way, or got tired of looking at it.. nag nag nag.. I got this 54 ford sitting here now, waiting quietly on me to get caught up again.

I got such a understanding wife. most the time.

The rigid die in the background caught my eye right off, another board member and I do think it was Weird needed one really bad.

If you want something, be aggressive, get it then complete it as planned. Don't stop cause you want to see a sitcom on tele. Such a waste of manpower should be directed.

David

Comment

David none of us will be a round to scavenge your goods when you die theres another 45 years in you yet brother I hope more Alistair
              Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

There is an old story that makes the rounds occasionally;

A new widow in preparing her husband's obituary learns the paper only permits five words for free after pondering for a bit, she comes up with;

"Dave's dead, tools for sale."
                Jim H.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BillH:
                  South Bend Model A with collet closer, and V pulleys? Who in their right mind would do that to such a lathe?</font>
                  Probably a relative of the knuckle head who, on junk night, threw out the 9" Hardinge Cataract lathe I now have in my basement!
                  Ed Pacenka

Comment

I see a diamond in the rough!
                    Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)

Comment

I see some gears that I could use to get mine operational!

Comment

Seriously !!! those gearboxes southbend actually "Boxford in the UK" go for big bucks on ebay that alone would be worth selling Alistair
                        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

How much for those tires? Damn I've been looking all over for those.

-3Ph

Comment

The gears,etc. look pretty clean in the pix.i have seen a helluva lot worse machines fixed up to do good work.don't let it go to waste

------------------
                            Hans
                            Hans

Comment

Some types have no respect for tools and machinery.
                              and some have..... what a great find!
                              spope14, that lathe has just been waiting for you. I look forward to the story of its' rebirth or adoption .
                              cheers, Ken
                              Ken.

Comment

Working...
                              X