Sheldon horizontal mill...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheldon horizontal mill...

I found a little Sheldon mill. It's very cute and I really want it. Has the over arm, variable speed similar to my lathe and shaper and no power feed on the table. I think it uses B&S 9 collets which my vertical mill uses. Anyone have one?
    I like to pick up the "hobby size" stuff when I can...

------------------
    Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga

[This message has been edited by hoffman (edited 01-07-2005).]
    Techno-Anarchist

I do not have one, but they are excellent machines. See here: http://www.lathes.co.uk/sheldon/page8.html

Grab it if you can.
    Jim H.

Comment

It's the later model with the 3 slots in the table. $750...

------------------
      Techno-Anarchist

Comment

I'd go for it if in good, or even decent shape. Arbors you will need, but can make.

I have a somewhat smaller H mill and it sure is handy. About 4 1/2 x 18 table. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/08...y/mil_bars.jpg

The 3 slots is GOOD. Mine has one slot, and that requires a lot of gyrations for some work.

Price isn't bad. It looks to be built to work rings around some other small mills. No power feed is a bummer, but you CAN add it. I think you would like the Sheldon.
        CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
        Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
        Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
        I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
        Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

It may have the power feed. I just didn't notice a shaft running to the knee on the outside. It's at my part time job and is surrounded by a bunch of other stuff. I'll have to drag it into the light and check it out.
          That's an interesting mill you have there J. Do you use it much?
          I worked in a shop that had a little Atlas (I think) that ran one job and one job only. I always thought it'd be neat to have one.

------------------

[This message has been edited by hoffman (edited 01-07-2005).]
          Techno-Anarchist

Comment

Yes I do, it is THE mill here. It is a Lewis.

Kit machine from the 1940's. It is loaded with everything except power feeds and a universal table.

Has a MT3 spindle in tapered roller bearings, a 1 1/2-8 threaded nose, so it shares tooling with the Logan. It has back gears so it gets down near 25 rpm for tough stuff and large diameter cutters (saws, mostly, if big, it ain't for hogging).
            The overarm braces make it pretty stout.
            And, there is a vertical adapter of unknown parentage, on a bar that replaces the overarm.

I am thinking universal conversion someday, I would only have to make the crosslide unit...with pivot. Someday.....that would be project 29 right now!

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 01-08-2005).]
            CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
            Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
            Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
            I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
            Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

I had two Diamond Mills at one time..same thing.
              Diamond (LA,CALIF) sold out to Vernon, who then were bought by Sheldon, when Sheldon wanted a milling machine..
              A friend made parts for them years ago and gave me a table casting left over when they shut down.
              I am surprised that no power feed is on it..
              One of my Diamonds had its feed removed when I got it.
              its a Heavy duty machine !
              Green Bay, WI

Comment

Working...
              X