Jaws For Milling Vise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jaws For Milling Vise

I have a Pittsburgh brand import milling vise on my Grizzly MD. The jaws are getting a bit buggered up, and I was thinking of making a new set of jaws for it. What material would be best suited? Is your average CRS sufficient? Thanks in advance.
    Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)

I, personally, would use a good quality tool steel. Have it hardened, then ground. The CRS, unless you case harden it, IMO, is going to be too soft.
    Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

Comment

"I, personally, would use a good quality tool steel. Have it hardened, then ground."

Although I would agree with that, you would probably be just as well off to buy a new vise . It is much the same for making many items these days, it is actually less expensive to just buy a new one.

Comment

Arbo, i have an extra set of jaws for a Kurt D688, they are yours free if they will fit. I will bring them to Cabin Fever if you think they will work. check it out. The jaws are stained but not damaged.

Comment

Cecil,

How about some dimensions? Thanks for the offer!

Comment

If it has replaceable jaws, cold rolled is as good as anything. An advantage of cold rolled over hardened steel is that if you nick it with an end mill, it will not destroy the mill.

I consider vise jaws as perishable tooling. drill and tap them, or mill them for holding odd shapes. When they get beat up, pitch them and make new ones.
            Jim H.

Comment

You might consider pre-hardened 4142 ground stock. It machines well, if you don't try to push it, and it would be somewhat more durable than "mild steel."

MSC www.mscdirect.com sells it.
              ----------
              Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
              Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
              Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
              There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
              Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
              Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

JC,

What is there now certainly isn't hardened. It cuts way too easy. (Don't ask how I figured this out.) I appreciate the fact that I didn't commit some kind of unforgivable act by messing up though.

Comment

I'll agree with JC. The jaws can be as soft as aluminum.

I have used aluminum jaws on my kurt. The jaws were over sized and I pocketed the top out to hold small items, kinda like a small fixture plate in that I would mill below the bottom surface of the part being made and mill into the soft jaws. JRouche
                  My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Arbo, the dimensions on the Kurt jaws are approximately 6" long, 1 3/4 height, and 3/4 depth, holes are on 4" ctrs. Again, all measurments are approx. I will bring to Cabin Fever anyway, if you can't use them possibly someone else will need them.

Comment

I also have several sets of aluminum jaws. They made some at the shop, so while they were set up, I made a few for myself. Not that setting it up is hard, just made it easy enough for even me. Kind of wish I had done some out of tool steel, so if I needed a good set, I would have them, but hindsight is twenty twenty.
                      David from jax

------------------
                      Have gun, will travel.
                      A serious accident is one that money can't fix.

Comment

Cecil,

Thanks again for the offer. They aren't gonna work tho. I am however going to keep my eyes peeled for a used Kurt. I'm not real happy with what I have now.

Comment

Working...
                        X