End mill questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End mill questions

Hey guys! These came with a bunch of end mills off Ebay. Wondering ...the large one, what does this fit in? And the threaded end on the mid size one...what does this thread into? I have a bunch of these and was just going to grind a flat to fit in a Wheldon holder. And finally...the little one, what on earth would this fit? I have several of these and one would work well for milling out the shaft bore in a carb I'm working on. The pilots interchange with the small bolt holding them in but there isn't a lot to hold onto. There is a small hex length to grip with a chuck I guess but I'm sure there has to be a better way.

Thanks!
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

No idea about the top and bottom ones.

The Clarkson (I think that's right) company of England made, and maybe still does, a milling machine end mill holder that accepts threaded-shank end mills, which may be what #2 is about.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

The top and bottom ones look like "porting tools" the top one being hand turned with a tap wrench and the bottom one for a speciality machine designed for porting. YMMV

Comment

Top one looks like it could be used to cut valve seats .
        here are two more
        I got 25 of these off ebay for آ£5
        btw most have "James Webb and Sons" written on them.
        anyone know what they are :-

all the best.mark

[This message has been edited by aboard_epsilon (edited 01-09-2005).]

Comment

Note...for size comparison...the middle one is a 3/8" X 2"L

Comment

TORKER
            The middle one is like every end mill i own .
            the thread is for when you use them in collet chucks ...
            Thread can be ignored when used in r8 collets.
            all the best..mark

Comment

Question...Why do you need threads to use them in a collet chuck? Just wondering because I bought about 30 end mills and most of them are threaded. Thanks!
              Russ

Comment

torker
                the bottom one looks very much like a counterbore for an M size hexagon head,very handy to sink the bolt into the job, the middle one quite rightly is of the 4 flute coventry make .

Comment

I agree...it is a counter bore of somekind. I'm just wondering how you are supposed to grab it. The hex length is only 1/4" long. these came from an old machine shop in Quebec that went out of business. I'd bet there was lots of old English built equipment in the shop. A lot of stuff I've been buying from back east is old English manufacture. I was suprised to recieve a couple of old (really nice) Starrett mics that where made in England. I'm since told that Starrett had a factory there for some time.
                  Russ

Comment

Question...Why do you need threads to use them in a collet chuck? Just wondering because I bought about 30 end mills and most of them are threaded. Thanks!
                    Russ

because its belts and braces approach .....some people will not use anything but a collet chuck...they belive the r8 system is flawed because the mills can push up or even come down.
                    they are screwed into the back of the collet chuck into a loose fixture then the collet is tightend also.
                    all the best..mark

[This message has been edited by aboard_epsilon (edited 01-09-2005).]

Comment

The top one looks a lot like a tube mill for radiusing the id end of a tube.Dosn't say Everet does it?
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Mark, your's look like reamer's designed for thin material such as sheet metal.

Comment

The top and bottom cutters are piloted cutters, perhaps for valve seats. The square drive suggests using a socket extension.

Comment

Does the top end mill in picture one have a radius in the corners before the pilot? May be a corner radiusing cutter. I had a few strange radiusing cutters from the old J&L and Joy plants hanging about here a bit.
                            CCBW, MAH

Comment

Here's perhaps a better pic of the bigger cutter.

I think it IS to be used with a tap handle...unless you know of a chuck or whatever that holds these????
                              Weird...you may be close...maybe for cutting a chamfer on the inside? No it doesn't say Everet. I assume this is another Butterfield cutter. It has the same hand engraving on it that all the other Butterfield stuff has. Couple of pretty strange cutters anyway!
                              Russ

Comment

Working...
                              X