Alexander mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alexander mill

One of my 50th birthday presents to myself was delivered today, having bought it sight unseen off Ebay I am somewhat relieved to find myself quite delighted after a brief sift through the machine & accesories, smaller than my failing memory of a friends Deckel had me expect, but for my intended usage quite adequate.
    The motor is single phase 240v rated at 2hp, & as it arrived with horizontal arm & arbour fitted ran quite pleasantly in all speeds, although actuation of the power feeds escaped me (possibly a shear pin failure to be investigated) the slides & lead screws exhibit little backlash. The paintwork appears to be original & quite respectable, bearing out the sellers story of it being owned by a clockmaker who had tragicaly lost his eyesight, there are a few little cutter trails in both tables but otherwise no signs whatsoever of abuse. The last part of the serial number is 12/71 & I wonder if this could be December 1971 ?
    Perhaps unfortunately the manuals recieved are all for a Deckel FP1, including a couple of original brochures for an FP2, but contain no operating instructions (a purchase of Wrench's CD seems imminent) but it certainly seems a fairly simple & logical machine.

For those interested the equipment included in the purchase (I will confess to having several items who's usage escapes me) is as follows.
    Horizontal over arm & arbour & large range of gear gutters. Shaft driven vertical head & umpteen MT4 to smaller MT adapters, 20 or so collets (the adapter for which I have not yet uncovered), 2 boring heads of different capacity, fly cutters etc. Slotting head complete but with no apparent tooling. Fixed table. Universal table. Dividing attachment with several indexing plates. What I assume to be a simple circular drilling table. A strange looking (not original Alexander I suspect) motor which looks to mount to the vertical heads swivel face (and voltage transformer) And a considerable amount of jigs & fixtures who's purpose will doubtless take some time to identify.

To all those whom e-mailed after my winning Ebay bid I will respond to your questions as soon as possible, the machine is temporarly stored in a neighbours workshop whilst I attend to improving inadequate yard drainage, laying new concrete floor, new roof flashings, 3 phase supply etc, etc.
    Pictures will be posted a.s.a.p and I will doubtless have innumerable questions to ask of those more experienced of these peculiar machines on this excellent forum (this little beast is quite completely different to my Bridgeport)

regards (as I totter in to my dotage)

Brian

heres some info for you, hope its of use, you can find this at www.lathes.co.uk

bill

Home Machine Tool Archive Small Lathes for Sale

E-MAIL [email protected]

Deckel/Alexander Toolmaker's Miller
    Accessories
    Vertical Heads Slotting Boring Dividing Cutter Grinders

Copies of the Maker's Handbook are available

The English firm of Alexander, like several other European and Russian makers, copied the German Deckel Universal Toolroom Miller. When fitted with the universal tilting table and equipped with the many accessories produced for it, the machine was a most versatile and adaptable unit, capable of tackling an impressive range of tasks. Alexander called their machine the "Master Toolmaker" and, as their advertising literature claimed, it really was: "The machine for the awkward job" .
    Unlike a conventional milling machine, where the table can be moved in and out, the Alexander was fitted with a traversing head with a maximum travel of 57/8". Both the vertical and horizontal sockets took a No.4 Morse taper and were provided with an adaptor able to accept spring collets up to 11/16" bore.
    For the English market the drive motor was usually a massive 1.5 hp 1425 rpm, single-speed 3-phase unit, mounted on an adjustable supporting bracket at the rear base of the main column. A two-speed motor was an option, but seems to have been rarely fitted. The motor (usually) drove up to the spindle gearbox, with its hardened and ground gears, through two matched-length "B" section V belts, each 56" long.
    With the single-speed motor 6 horizontal spindle speeds were available - 120, 190, 300, 475, 750 and 1200 rpm The two speed motor extended the range to 60, 95, 120, 150,190, 235, 300, 375, 475, 600, 750 and 1200 rpm.
    The "vertical table" had a clamping area of 73/4" by 215/8", with 97/8" of horizontal travel and 115/8" of vertical. Fitted to this was either a plain table of 231/2" x 81/4", or what the maker's described as an "Angular Table", which was available in two sizes with clamping areas of 103/8" x 171/4" - or 103/8" x 24". The Angular Table, which made the machine so versatile, could be tilted horizontally 30 degrees either side of zero, vertically 45 degrees either side of zero - and also vertically towards and away from the machine column by 30 degrees either side of zero. The distance from the centre of the horizontal spindle to the table face was 115/8".

Tilted ...

Swung ...

Pivoted ….

The table could be moved under power both horizontally and vertically, and fitted with adjustable stops which automatically disengaged the drive. The drive was controlled by a single "joy stick" lever, and gave six different rates of feed in each direction. The table-feed gearbox was a simple affair, and provided with sets of paired gears which could be slipped onto fixed studs to give the desired rate of feed. A mild-steel shear pin was hidden beneath a spring cover just inboard of the lower gear. The versions of the miller make in Czechoslovakia had a proper internal gearbox, controlled by a pair of external levers resembling those of the spindle speed levers above them on the side of the main casting.

Alexander/Deckel Master Toolmaker with the Swivelling Table and Horizontal Head fitted

Home Machine Tool Archive Small Lathes for Sale

E-MAIL [email protected]

Deckel/Alexander Toolmaker's Miller
    Accessories
    Vertical Heads Slotting Boring Dividing Cutter Grinders

Copies of the Maker's Handbook are available

Comment

Think you have given too much info in your post Brian.......no ones responded ..because you have given so much info .....that they cant think of any questions to put to you .
      Anyhows from me ...
      lovely machine, wish I had one ...and I Know you will enjoy it.
      OHhhh......and happy birthday
      all the best.mark

[This message has been edited by aboard_epsilon (edited 01-11-2005).]

Comment

Could you post a picture when you get a chance please. In colour !! I love it when something new comes to live in the shed.

Comment

*LOL*...thanks Mark, I had never thought about giving too much info

Bill....I often use the excellent LathesUK site for reference, but thanks for the tip nonetheless.

Stanko...I will get some pics up as soon as possible, the machine is temporarily stored in a neighbours unheated garage & the last few evenings have been bloody freezing here. I intend to test fit & run all the various tables & heads during which I will take some decent pics & post them.

regards

Brian

Comment

Working...
          X