Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a shaper?

Hi all,
    I have a silly question. I've seen everybody posting about "shapers" but I'm not exactly clear as to what they do. I just had a buddy ask me if I would be interested in buying one. He knows nothing about machinery. I think a inlaw of his has it or something like that. I don't even know what manuf. or model yet. I might go look at it this week. Are they just basically a horizontal mill? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Tim

It's a Real old school machine tool. Check out this outstanding home made Gingery shaper. http://www.frugalmachinist.com/shaper.html
    I just got a little one but the Gingery version is what got me interested.

------------------
    Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga
    Techno-Anarchist

Comment

Tim, a Metal Shaper does to metal what a "Plane" does to wood: it removes stock with a tool that makes horizonal straight-line strokes and is automatically indexed at the end of each stroke for a certain pre-set amount of feed. The depth of cut is controled by a feed screw on the front of the ram that is similar to the cross-feed screw in a lathe They are almost hypnotic to watch they are so facinating!

Comment

Here is a link to a page that has information about shapers including some recently published articles:

Shaper FAQ

Here's a link to a page on my website with several links to shaper-related information:
        Don's Machine Tool Page

Don

[This message has been edited by dkinzer (edited 01-15-2005).]
        Don Kinzer
        Portland, OR

Comment

Check out www.jamesriser.com and he has in his tools area a short video of his shaper in action.
          lg
          no neat sig line

Comment

To further confuse matters a 'shaper' as used in woodworking is a very different machine from a metal shaper. A wood shaper is more like a wood router except a stationary machine with vertical spindle unto which one mounts cutters. The wood is passed over a fence, either by hand or power feed attachment, and the cutter "shapes" the wood to the opposite profile of the cutter.

Comment

Metal shapers are metal shaving machines. They shave metal from flat material as a lathe shaves material from round stock. JRouche

Also see: http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Metal_Shapers/

My shaper is the one on the introduction page.
              My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

he could also be talking about a wood "shaper" which is basically a large router table.

Comment

Thank you for the info folks. Now I understand what they do. I just have to go look at this thing and see if it's a metal or wood machine. I've got a feeling it's a wood machine. I'll let ya know when I find out. Thanks again. Tim

Comment

Working...
                  X