SB9 mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SB9 mill

I have made a milling attachment for my SB9C. It was not difficult and cost less than $50 cdn for parts and materials.

I used the top slide for the vertical axis. It has a X,Y range of 2.25x 4.5".

It can be set up in about two or three minutes.

It seems to work really well. It is all aluminum, very thick sections. Aluminum is superior to steel or cast iron in this respect as it has better damping characteristics. I found a use for those two bolt holes in the cross slide

The attachment is aligned by the use of two ears that bear on the back end of the cross slide with a couple of set screws.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 10-27-2003).]
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Nice and well executed as always.
    OK Evan, I have to ask: do Canadian days have 28 hours in them, or do you just never sleep?

Comment

Good thing we have the time change this weekend, I can always use an extra hour..

Comment

Nice work...I have a spare compound that I plan to do the same with. I've heard the project described and I think I even saw some drawings on the web. It's very nice to see your execution of the project.

Comment

Nice job Evan;
          Another project for the SB9
          Jim
          Jim

Comment

Very nice Job Evan,
            looks like allot of horizontal milling operations can be done with your lathe now.

Comment

Nice work Evan!

Are you 'tooling up' for a specific project?

Comment

Herb,

No specific project exactly but I am tired of being constrained in design by my tools. This allows for much more flexibility. I do have it in mind to build some small engines, likely steam and/or sterling. Some milling capability will be an asset.

Comment

I'll bet your telling yourself-gee I should have done that along time ago!Good work!
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Wierd,

Yep, yep, yep, yep...

Comment

I like it Evan. Your SB9 is just like mine except mine is the model A. I built a milling holder for mine but I used the Dovetail post holder and I found it inadequate. It looks like you drilled and tapped the cross slide and I think that would have solved most of the problems for me. Your adapter looks better than mine. I'd better go clean my lathe again too. Great work.

Spence

Comment

Evan -

I immediately downloaded your "testing" thread when I saw what you were up to. Thanks for posting more detail. Very nice concept and execution.

I think I'm glad you didn't do this sooner, or I may never have bought a mill/drill - I would probably have built your milling rig and never have gotten up the gumption to spend for the mill!

------------------

Comment

Nice work! Looks great, and appears to function very well also.

Bernie

Comment

Spence,

I guess you missed the other thread. The holes are already there in the cross slide on mine and several others as well. That was the final impetus for me to build the attachment as I don't want to modify the lathe and didn't have to.

Thanks for all the compliments!

Comment

One more point for anyone thinking of making something like this: If you don't have a couple of handy threaded bolt holes or slots in the cross slide it wouldn't be hard to make a fitting that mounts it the same as the compound does. That was always plan B for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X