Springfield lathe info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springfield lathe info

Does anyone have info./pics for an old spingfield lathe. It has the name "The Springfield Machine Tool Co. Springfield O". It has an 18"+ swing, and a 6' bed with a turret set-up on the end of the bed. I would like to know how old this thing is, and see some pics to get an idea of how it should look. Any info would be handy. Thanks, Jeffrey

I've got an old Springfield lathe,don't know if there are any simularites or not.It's a 12in. swing 36 in beteen centers.Mine doesn't have a turret like yours.I happen to live about 45 min away from where they were built.I have tried to find out the same info (year) your searching for to no avail.There is another one in a museum (caralon park)in Dayton, Oh.the same size as mine.I'll take a few pics tonight and post tomorrow.

[This message has been edited by burnlast (edited 01-16-2005).]
    ...the order of bringing about change
    is the four boxes:
    1.soap
    2.ballot
    3.jury
    4.cartridge

Comment

Thanks burnlast, I don't have the lathe home yet, but it will need to be tore down to get it moved. I'll get some pics also, maybe you might see something interesting........by the way I live up around Lima, so we are not too far apart.

[This message has been edited by Freak (edited 01-17-2005).]

Comment

Does some of these look like it?

Glad to hear you're so close.About 1 1/2 hour drive.Hope you got the change gears and all the other attachments with it.Mine was rescued from a junk yard by my dad,when he was 18 about 50 years or so ago.He re-scraped it in my grandmothers basement.It's had a lot of hours of use in his shop running different production jobs and is still a good tight machine.But it does have it's little quirks.That's what I like about some of this "old iron".It's definitly got it's own personality. The only real problem you might have with it,when you get it back together, will be with the quick change gear box (feeds).The lever pulls on a shaft that has a notched out key with a spring under it.It can be a little contrary getting it to engage in the gear you want.Also when you get to a point when your ready to chase threads the lever on the carrriage needs to be pointing down or you will never get the halfnuts to close.
        Good luck on getting it moved.

is the four boxes:
        1.soap
        2.ballot
        3.jury
        4.cartridge

Comment

Sorry double post

[This message has been edited by burnlast (edited 01-17-2005).]
          is the four boxes:
          1.soap
          2.ballot
          3.jury
          4.cartridge

Comment

THATS IT!! I can't do anything with mine till I get my shop built this spring......its gonna get shoved into the barn for now(bummer!).
            It has some sort of quick change gear box for the feed, pretty wild looking! I'd post pics but I can't figure out how to. I could send them to you if thats ok?
            Thanks a bunch, I may need your help in the future for reassembly. At least I know where I can look at another one for reference. (gotta love the internet!)
            Thanks again!!!!

Comment

Gosh, that's a cute little Springfield.

The two or three others I have seen have been newer and MUCH heavier. Real beasts. Just the tailstocks looked like they would weigh more than the whole headstock on yours. Probably 7,000-10,000lb total, and no more than 20" or so swing x 6'.

That one looks nice.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

Thanks J Teirs.It's been ran hard but it hasn't been abused.Someday I plan to strip it down and re-paint it.

Freak,go ahead and email me,at [email protected] ( email on my profile is wrong and can't figure out how to change it),would be glad to help you out.Don't get concerned if I don't reply right away.I get called out on field service work for where I work on a regular basis.

[This message has been edited by burnlast (edited 01-18-2005).]
                is the four boxes:
                1.soap
                2.ballot
                3.jury
                4.cartridge

Comment

Working...
                X