OT, for Evan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT, for Evan

Bet your glad that this prediction didn't come to pass. You would need a fork lift to bring one of these babys into your shop for repairs.

From 1954 P.M.

To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

That looks a lot like a dive control station
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I absolutely love it. I want one! I wonder what all the dials are for? I am completely amazed that anyone in that time even cosidered the thought of a "home computer". It was around that time that IBM estimated the world market for computers at a couple of dozen, tops. I can't belive that someone (probably the guy in the photo) was able to get any funding at all to even make such a mockup. Amazing. Crap, I used to program in Fortran. If only I could go back in time and show that man a laptop. He would likely pee himself. (I wouldn't tell him about Windows right aways though...)
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

It's a fake. Check Snopes- the image is a demo/mockup Los Angeles class submarine control section, and the photo is from a trade show a couple of years ago.

Somebody added the old magnavox TV and the printer station in front.

A friend was mentioning it- he recalls reading the 1984 Guiness book, about the worlds fastest computer. It was CRAY-1 costing $8.8 million, processed at 12Mhz, had a whopping 8 Mb RAM and thirty-two hard disc storage units totalling an absurd 10Gb.

We've come a long way baby.

Doc.
        Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Too good to be true. No one at that time envisioned the micro-sizing of components. Even the science fiction writers missed it completely, and that is rare. And yet, it should have been obvious. You cannot make computers more powerful by simply scaling them up. You must scale them down. If you scale them up by just adding more of the same old components they grow slower and slower as the distance the signals must travel increases. Cray was one of the first to realize this. He designed his computers with standard length wires between components to make timing predictable. The reason the Cray one computers were arranged in a circle was to minimize and equalize the distance between parts.

Comment

True or not, I still want a big stainless steel tiller attached to my computer.

Comment

As in most "predictions" of the future this one missed the mark by a long way. But too bad the home pc isn't based on Babbage's Difference Engine. Now for the HSM'er that whould be truely neat.
              Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Submarine wheel????? Don't you know a mouse when you see one?
                To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Those scientists from Rand were probably laughing their butts off. With that wheel the whole thing has to be a really big joke.

Or was that wheel the predecessor to the joystick so they could program the 'computer' for playing PONG?

Ahhhh FORTRAN! Getting my BS in CS I used FORTRAN for my programming assignments more than any other language. I felt like I should have had a minor in FORTRAN if there had been such a thing. I really liked that language. Probably couldn't program in it today to save my life.

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 12-08-2004).]

Comment

It's like watching old Star Trek episodes, imagine in the year 2400, we are still using CRT's? LOL.

Comment

A Cray just sold on Ebay this morning for $1,224.99.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...735579961&rd=1

-Mike

Comment

"No one at that time envisioned the micro-sizing of components. Even the science fiction writers missed it completely, and that is rare."

Evan, you must not have read "Dick Tracy".
                        Craig

Comment

I admit that was an exception but I was referring to computers. I recall one science fiction story (but not the author) that was about a computer the size of a planet.

However, there was one very large exception to this and that was Richard Feynman. In 1959 he gave a lecture titled "There's Plenty of Room at the Bottom". (Here)

In part he said "As soon as I mention this, people tell me about miniaturization, and how far it has progressed today. They tell me about electric motors that are the size of the nail on your small finger. And there is a device on the market, they tell me, by which you can write the Lord's Prayer on the head of a pin. But that's nothing; that's the most primitive, halting step in the direction I intend to discuss. It is a staggeringly small world that is below. In the year 2000, when they look back at this age, they will wonder why it was not until the year 1960 that anybody began seriously to move in this direction."

And in part about computers: "I don't know how to do this on a small scale in a practical way, but I do know that computing machines are very large; they fill rooms. Why can't we make them very small, make them of little wires, little elements---and by little, I mean little. For instance, the wires should be 10 or 100 atoms in diameter, and the circuits should be a few thousand angstroms across."

This was long before integrated circuits and microprocessors.

He was a visionary and he called it perfectly.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 12-08-2004).]

Comment

I took a "computer math" class in high school (around 1970). We used a teletype to connect to a main frame at the Rio Grande Industries building in downtown Denver. I learned to do some simple programs in Basic but didn't pursue it any further, many times I wish I had. As far as the picture, I swear those "dials" are steering wheels from a Mack truck, and a Buick Roadmaster. Thanks for the Photo.

[This message has been edited by Carl (edited 12-11-2004).]
                            THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE

Comment

I gave away a old tandy 100.. one of the first laptops I ever had. It had all the goodies including the brief case.

I had wrote a basic "game" for it and reassigned all the f-keys. He called me a week or more back and asked what the shoot, knife, bomb or run_away keys on the bottom of the screen meant.

I told him what I remembered doing and he was chuckling playing the game right along. Not sure what year that it was I got that old computer.

I guess I messed up "giving it away" but you can't keep everything. I got loads of junk and a tiny house.

Neat picture, even if it is a fake. History is changing everyday. Who knowes, in 2000 years that photo may be "reality".

David

Comment

Working...
                              X