Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT-Airbuses new airplane

Cant wait to see one at an airport.

is that a new version of the "guppy",those monsters that were built to carry concorde fuselage sections?

------------------
    Hans
    Hans

Comment

No, its the Airbus A380, double decker super jumbo jet, 550 people.

Comment

I'd love to jump out of one of those.

-3Ph

Comment

This just means that 550 people die in one shot instead of 300!!! yippy!!! Population control.

Comment

Flash; thats only if it crashes in a cornfield or in the water.
            3 Phase; take your parachute and take a flight maybe youll get you chance, if have acess to an exit...jim
            ...jim

Comment

i saw that story last night. it is just coming out for test flights to gather data. supposedly one problem was trying to meet the weight goals. i'm not sure i'd want to be the first test pilot in a plane that came off the assembly line a bit on the heavy side (308 tons i believe is the total weight).

andy b.
              The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb:
                I'd love to jump out of one of those.

-3Ph
                </font>
                Are you a skydiver? I did a couple of hundred jumps in the 80's. Biggest plane I ever jumped from was a Bristol Freighter ,the last one was removed from service last year. Big sleeve valve engines awesome.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stanko:
                  Are you a skydiver? I did a couple of hundred jumps in the 80's. Biggest plane I ever jumped from was a Bristol Freighter ,the last one was removed from service last year. Big sleeve valve engines awesome.

</font>
                  Yea, I've been sport skydiving for about 9 years now. My wife and I skydive together actually. We mostly jump out of Twin Otters, King Airs, and Hot Air Balloons.

Here is a little video clip of me and my wife jumping out of a hot air balloon at Skydive Arizona in Eloy, AZ:

Hot Air Balloon Jump

I have a little Sony DV camera mounted to the side of my helmet.

-3Ph

Comment

Sorry, but as a pilot I hold the view that most pilots do. Anyone who jumps out of a perfectly good functioning aircraft has a wingnut or two loose.
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:
                      Sorry, but as a pilot I hold the view that most pilots do. Anyone who jumps out of a perfectly good functioning aircraft has a wingnut or two loose.</font>
                      You've never apparently seen the airplanes we jump out of then

-3Ph

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by matador:
                        is that a new version of the "guppy",those monsters that were built to carry concorde fuselage sections?

</font>

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by matador:

</font>
                          Like to have one of those on Floats......

Comment

The company I work for is a machine builder for aerospace sheet metal forming. We've gotten a few decent orders from the manufacturers of that beast. It brought about some interesting challenges because the pieces were bigger, allowable scrap was less, etc.

I hope it helps out the airlines eventually, but part of me wonders how a showboat like that will work out if airlines can't make money on the already paid for planes they are flying now.

Sandy.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stanko:

</font>
                              Bristol Freighter, you sure that you got the name right???????????????????????
                              Was a "grunt" many years ago and was transported around in them 'things'. Had a another name for 'em tho', we used to call 'em BRISTOL FRIGHTNERS, not sure what kept them airborne, them rackity motors or the flexing/flapping of the wings.The safest thing about them, was they had a door in 'em to allow you to escape.

Ahhhhh, memories!!!!!!!! have to go clean out me undies from just thinkin' about them things.

Comment

Working...
                              X