Question of lapping.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question of lapping.

I’ve read reference to watchmakers using diamond abrasive to polish steel part. Why doesn’t the diamond abrasive migrate to the softer steel and cut the glass lap?

If you are referring to "Diamantine" polishing powder, I believe it is actually aluminum oxide dust and not diamonds.
    "The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." Winston Churchill

Comment

Thanks for the clarification.. but my confusion about migration still stands.

Comment

Because, if I remember correctly, the lap used is copper or some other soft metal. Since the lap is softer than the surface being polished, the grit digs into the lap, not the steel.

Comment

Agreed, but my question involves glass and steel.. steel being the softer.

Comment

Maybe both materials are ground away. Maybe the glass is sacrificial. Problem I see is the glass lap will become distorted.

Now, once a lap has been impregnated with abrasive, lets say diamond to glass, wont it stay in the material even while lapping a softer material?

Maybe the glass lap was previously charged with abrasive then used on the steel? JRouche

[This message has been edited by JRouche (edited 01-21-2005).]

Comment

Working...
            X