Honda's Ridgeline Pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda's Ridgeline Pickup

You can see pictures of it here. If you look at the bottom of the tailgate in this pic, you'll see a small grey, u-shaped part. That it is one of the 3 parts we make at work for the pick up.

Toyota is building a truck assembly plant not too far away. Supposed to open for the 2006 models. I'm hoping to see some trickle-down effect in this area. If nothing else, more money in the pockets of my customers.

Comment

I am glad Honda is building a truck, and given my experience with Honda's I am sure it will be very reliable and trouble free. But those pictures are not a truck- they are a 4 door passenger car with a bin at the back for carrying bags of dog food.
      A truck has a bed big enough to carry a 4x8 piece of plywood.
      I find it interesting that Honda, Toyota, and Nissan all build trucks in the USA, while Ford, Chevy, and Dodge do not. Whats up with that? My 2004 Ford F150 was made in Canada. Dodges are made in Mexico. Chevies are made a few places, including, I am pretty sure, Canada and Mexico as well.

Comment

On place GM builds pickups is Janesville, WI
        Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

My Chevy was built in Indiana. It can carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood. And my steam locomotive.
          Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, Clausing 8520 mill, Diacro 24" shear, Reed Prentice 14" x 34"

Comment

I used to work at a place that makes the frames and suspention parts for honda canada. That "truck" is based on the same platform as the MDX and Van. Unibody!! How good is a unibody truck, there is no frame! I wouldn't be putting any bricks or anything in the back or you will have 2 honda trucks. Just another SUV to destroy the planet!!

Comment

I hate to break it to you guys,but All the new trucks suck.They are no longer trucks.

A truck has a rubber floor mat,it has a bench seat,it has a plain jane radio(FM is a luxury)maybe power steering and power brakes and is usually equiped with at least 300 c.i.

Todays "trucks"are cars with big trunks.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

99% of Ford's Super Duty trucks are made in the US. (I shoot three bolts each on about 500 a day personally ) I'm pretty sure most of the F150s are too. Rangers are US made, too.

GM makes some in Canada. Don't know about Dodge.

I think as the Japanese get into the truck market hot and heavy they'll take it over. Their quality, in general, is so much better. (And I'm not just a disgruntled autoworker. My wife drives an Accord. We couldn't see taking the depreciation hit on a new Taurus. It's ridiculous really.)

Wasn't VWs rabbit truck a unibody? There's a success story. Really, though, a unibody made tough enough could equal a body on frame no problem. Jeep Grand Cheorkee is a unibody. Airplanes, big and small, are 'unibody'. Of course the Honda won't be a work truck.

I do have a work truck though. 1993 F250. A real truck, IMO. 351, 4.10 rear Single cab long bed. Over 10 years old...

Another interesting thing: VW ad for the Toureg with a v-10 diesel with something like 535 ft-lbs of Torque.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flash319:
                  That "truck" is based on the same platform as the MDX and Van. </font>
                  I thought that truck looked a lot like our Pilot Pilot is a really nice vehicle, just cant put a mill inside it.

Comment

How the hell can ANYONE afford a new pickup. They cost more than a house. We build Multi stage progressive dies for toyota honda ford and chrysler. It is amazing how many revision changes a week come in costing our customers hundreds of thousands of dollars. The days of old intelligent engineers are gone. Common sense has flown the coop. Now everyone is a stupid computer engineer geek. No common sense and definately no manufacturing experience whatsoever. We are digging a big hole for ourselves with our lack of common sense teachings beginning in high schools. I hear horrible stories from my nephew who was enroled in bluevale collegiate. They have the dumbest machine shop teacher ever seen. He told them that after bluing a part to quickly scribe it before the layout die dries. IM NOT KIDDING. I had a night school mastercam course from the same guy and he was hurting, This is where it starts Lots of students left this course due to the Teacher. My nephew built a beautiful portable guitar stand and the teacher didnt even bother to mark it. Its a shame that more common sense isnt used when hiring shop teachers, I could just imagine the quality of students graduating with teachers like John and Thrud and others on this HSM site, It scares me to think of what it will be like in the future. I paid 35000 for a house and I need at least 50000 and more for a decent pickup truck. I fear we will soon be all driving foreign cheap **** cause we cant intelligently manufacture vehicles cheaply and sanely. Wow I feel better now that I vented. Sorry everyone Madman

Comment

I am happy to hear that many "US" trucks are actually made in the US.
                      I bought my F150 because I needed a full size 2WD extra cab pickup, and Dodge would not sell me one- at the time I was looking, I was informed that there were no 2wd long beds in 5 western states, including california. NONE!
                      I looked at ford and chevy, and liked ford better.
                      WierdScience exactly described my new Ford- rubber floor mats, bench seat, rollup windows, am radio, no chrome, black painted bumpers and a V-8. They looked at me funny at the dealership, when I turned down the mousefur upholstery and the woodgrain plastic panels, but at least Ford still makes a work truck.
                      I am no snob about foreign cars- I have owned, and liked, Nissans, Toyotas, Mazdas, and Hondas. But the Japanese, like Dodge, are uninterested in the slim profit margins in a real work truck. Full size pickups, with all the options, are the most profitable cars the big 3 sell. If they wanted to, they could still sell a stripper pickup for maybe 13 grand, but why try when someone will pay 35 for 4wd they never use, a diesel that will outast their ownership, and GPS? Most pickups I see never get anything bigger than a case of beer put in the bed.
                      Madman must live in whole different country than me, though- I paid 20 grand for my pickup, and it is great. The average house in Seattle, near where I live, costs 350 grand, and most decent ones are between 600 and a million. So the people that live there dont think beans about dropping 35 grand for a big truck. Even out in the country where I live, you cant get much of a house for under 250 grand. Makes trucks seem cheap.

What I really want the Japanese to import are the tough as nails 1 ton cabover 10 foot flatbeds that are the workhorses of most asian countries. usually a 4 cylinder diesel under the front seats, not a lot of horsepower or a real high cruising speed, but they will carry unbelievable weights on no road at all. I have ridden in the back of these in places like Sumatra, where the roads are terrible, and they just go and go, and cost very little. Of course, they have bare metal dashboards, no radios, no luxuries of any kind. But man, are they real trucks!

Comment

Jamscal,

Ford made 112,796 F150 and F250 trucks in Oakville, Ontario in 2003. I don't have numbers for 2004.
                        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

That must be where mine came from, because when I open the door, the little sticker says "made in Canada, eh?"

Comment

I bought my F150 in 1994. it has a 300 six/stick in it. it has only one option, 4X4. (I live in Minnesota). It is clean, and not rusty yet. I get random guys offering to buy it from me all the time. it's simple, dependable, and has an actual truck motor in it. I might keep it forever, since it is paid for, and so dependable. That Honda is not a truck, it is a pseudo mini van for guys that won't drive a mini van because they live in a nice suburban neighborhood, and the soccer Mom's have the minivans, and the real men drive sorta trucks like this.

[This message has been edited by Happy (edited 01-21-2005).]

Comment

I bought my Ford Ranger in 1988, new. It has around 180,000 klics on it. I have used it to haul a 3000lb fifth wheel over 15,000 klics and have driven it over Yanks Peak. It hauls gravel, lumber, firewood and anything else I can fit in it. I drove it to work this morning in 4x4 on glare ice, no problem. Worst thing about it is cheap paint.
                              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                              X