Relay contacts - a little OT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relay contacts - a little OT

Relay contacts are silver,right. Silver is metal, right. This is a metal forum, right. OK, I have saved relay contacts for years, figured they were silver and could always be turned into a refiner for cash. Any of you guys have a place that takes them? I have a good sized handful that I would like to get rid of. Thanks, John

Not all relay contacts are silver, the contacts could be Gold, palladium, tugnsten, nickel or even mercury see: http://www.pandbrelays.com/app_pdfs/13c3236.pdf

[This message has been edited by Don Clement (edited 01-21-2005).]

Comment

I sat for days cutting relays open and snipping off the contact pads from relays. It was a nasa cabinet full of "viking Memory exerciser" ice cube type 4 pole relays.

Talk about boring, but it paid off in the thousands for my employer then in the early 80s. All them were solid gold.

It was a beautiful job, all the wiring laced in with catgut. All the 33 guage wires bent perfectly. Now looking back I didn't appreciate it.

Industrial silver is worth very very little thou. Kinda hearbreaking. I saved relay contactst thinking I would be able to melt them down, bought a coffee pot smelter (*electromelt) I ended up throwing the bucket away after the first pour. Really ugly castings with lots if inclusions and trash. I have thought of building several of the small smelters like that thou. Simple easy to use for really small projects, just plug it in and melt, and pour like a coffee urn.

David

Comment

Working...
      X