Custom Rail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Rail

l wasn’t happy with the off the shelf rail on my TC Encore. I bought some extruded stock from Brownells and worked up my own.
    My 1st start - finish project since I retired.
    Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
    9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Nice. Had to Google what the hell it was (I'm in the UK) but the method was interesting with the vertical grinding. Are those off the shelf grinding wheels or some you made to the exact radius of barrel?
    I was only wondering the other day whether aluminium was too gummy to grind or not. Guess there's my answer!

Comment

They’re actually boring tools with HSS inserts. I drilled test holes and then bored them to check the radius I wanted to match the barrel. Once I had that established I worked the tool in from the edge to the appropriate depth for each contour.
      9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

Nicely done!!!

THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim The Grim View Post
          They’re actually boring tools with HSS inserts. I drilled test holes and then bored them to check the radius I wanted to match the barrel. Once I had that established I worked the tool in from the edge to the appropriate depth for each contour.
          Ah, I see. As they were moving in the shot, they looked more like grind stones - at least on a small screen. Familiar concept but haven't seen any like those. Clearly they did the trick though!

Absent mindedly followed your link from "What did you machine today" so hadn't twigged that is was even gun related.

Are you planning to hard anodise the part or protect it in some way? I only ask as I'm making a part in aluminium at the moment and was irritated when I managed to drop it (it was one of THOSE days) and dinged up one edge. I can probably chamfer it to clean it up but it looks like there's more work gone into yours than mine - maybe your just more careful with the finished part!

Comment

I’m just gonna put a coat of ACF-50 on it to help prevent any corrosion. That rifle doesn’t see inclement weather.

Comment

Caught this a bit late Tim.
              Well done for using what machines available to achieve goal. Have done similar but usually line bore on lathe with long boring bar between centres.
              You do know thats weaver which has no spec, can be any sizing then mounts wont fit, does my head in why no one standardises and uses Picatinny/Stanag similar looking.

Comment

Looks great.

I have a similar project in the planning stages for a Ruger #1. Thanks for the pics.

Comment

Originally posted by hareng View Post
                  Caught this a bit late Tim.
                  Well done for using what machines available to achieve goal. Have done similar but usually line bore on lathe with long boring bar between centres.
                  You do know thats weaver which has no spec, can be any sizing then mounts wont fit, does my head in why no one standardises and uses Picatinny/Stanag similar looking.
                  What do you mean by that part in bold, and have you been under a rock? Picatinny rails are more commonly used than any other optics mounting system on new firearms in the US. It's so prevalent that now we commonly have members of the older generations complaining that they can't get their preferred model without a Pic rail.

Comment

and have you been under a rock?
                    That's a bit uncalled for isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by rws View Post

That's a bit uncalled for isn't it?
                      It wasn't intended in the rude manner you perceived it; my point was to illustrate that it is SO widely prevalent that it seems hard to miss unless someone is focused on a very narrow range of applications.

Comment

Yes Hareng, thanks.

I made a 2nd rail for a friends .223 and the groove widths on his are smaller to match his particular rings.
                        Both are Lengthened copies of shorter rails that for one reason or another didn’t provide the positioning we wanted.

i believe the two lower pics have the “real” specs for a “proper” Picattiny. Thoughts ?

Comment

Yeah those are correct specs for Picatinny rails. The consistent spacing between slots (that .394" dimension) is the really big difference between that and Weaver rails which locate the slot wherever it's convenient. Looks like the top rail in your pic is almost a Picatinny rail, other than missing some slots, where a true Pic rail would have slots along the entire length as a more universal mounting system.

Comment

Working...
                          X