Removing blueing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing blueing

So, is there some kind of home brew to remove gun blue? I know phosphoric acid is often used, wondering if something a little easier to dispose of works as well, or close?
    I cut it off twice; it's still too short
    Oregon, USA

Ammonia is supposed to remove bluing.

Comment

I been wanting to try vinegar.
      Vinegar slowly removes rust, and will etch steel, so it should remove blueing as well.

Comment

Aye, any of the usual suspects to remove rust should work fine. Bluing is just a different form of rust, after all. Degrease it to get rid of the protective oil, then submerge in your poison of choice. Id imagine that CLR should work fine, and be easy to dispose of. Mix with some baking soda and toss it down the drain, provided you didnt use it on a toxic heavy metal it isnt harmful. Ditto for vinegar, i just think the CLR would work faster

Comment

what is CLR?

Comment

The remains in the jar from pickled onions is still useful for derusting and this kind of job. Also brightening up copper and brass. saves wasting it. The residue after that if diluted is actually good for some garden plants.

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post
              what is CLR?
              It's a product actually called CLR, but it stands for Calcium Lime and Rust; i.e. it's a liquid product designed to remove those things. It's available in places like Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

I've used it for small parts in an ultrasonic cleaner for removing rust; it works well for that. I've also used Purple Power (similar to Castrol Super Clean) in the same way with good results; those purple degreasers contain lye and will remove blueing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post
                what is CLR?
                https://www.homedepot.com/p/CLR-28-o...L-12/100049980

A cleaning product, does a good job on calcium, lime and rust. Used to be mostly phosphoric acid, now its phosphoric, either way its a mild acid cleaner that does a good job

Comment

Originally posted by epicfail48 View Post

https://www.homedepot.com/p/CLR-28-o...L-12/100049980

A cleaning product, does a good job on calcium, lime and rust. Used to be mostly phosphoric acid, now its phosphoric, either way its a mild acid cleaner that does a good job
                  CLR is made with lactic acid, not phosphoric. It is not prone to flash rusting afterwards as some claim.

Comment

Originally posted by Yondering View Post

CLR is made with lactic acid, not phosphoric. It is not prone to flash rusting afterwards as some claim.
                    Meant to say that in my original post, as you can see i somehow put phosphoric twice... thanks for clarifying that, didnt catch it on my end

Comment

Working...
                    X