No announcement yet.

The 40mm Pucklegun and modern materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are some photos of the fabrication of the yoke that will be set in a socket on the carriage yet to be built. Upcycled a pair of heavy duty angle brackets to make the body of the yoke. I did the fit up and the welding of the trunnion blocks while on the gun then heated the corners to red hot to relax any spring or tension that would likely develop from the welding. Also fitted up the vanes that will add rigidity to the yoke. The welding went to H-E double toothpicks because i hadn’t remembered to grind away the zinc galvanizing on the angle brackets. Not my best, and i was getting impatient. I decided to go ahead and finish it and make a better one later. I remember one foreman in a fab shop eons ago, telling me “ fit, form, and function” It looks like a gun yoke, it fits the gun, and it does what it was designed to do.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ED99B03F-60B6-41A9-9098-35CD3F15CF19.jpeg
Views:	249
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	1921613 Click image for larger version

Name:	CEB2F89D-38A5-4C0F-908D-D94136D225F9.jpeg
Views:	246
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	1921614 Click image for larger version

Name:	77EEBBD1-4F8F-4E11-B25B-334970C9FA7D.jpeg
Views:	245
Size:	2.85 MB
ID:	1921617 Click image for larger version

Name:	4B6756D2-1962-40B5-8EF0-FCDA1EDCB9B6.jpeg
Views:	244
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	1921616 Click image for larger version

Name:	77BD37F3-8E22-4A13-943C-F1394BD6D3AD.jpeg
Views:	246
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	1921615

Comment

Bending that U bracket must of been fun ?? I see the torch color on corners. Still must of been a good fight. Hey it's done and looking good !

Comment

Started on a second chamber block for herr puckle. This has low pressure chambers for shooting flares, smokes, and small doggie tennis balls out to about 350 yards. Low pressure is about 3000 pounds psi max Similar to a 20ga. Shotgun round or a 37mm flaregun round. The plate acts as the breech and each chamber is fitted into the counter bore and welded in place. This way the weld is not subjected to the pressures the chambers will sustain, however i am using air hardening tool steel weld rod with a 65000 psi tensile strength. Just to cover my axx. Will still make a heck of a boom!

Name:	EBBDF1EB-5989-4968-8A9A-DC4C4CE56DDB.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	1922485

Comment

Ok, Houston, we are ready to launch! Rather than some kind of field carriage, i decided to honor the original design by building a tripod gun mount.
          started with some repurposed box tube that i had from making some boat jackstands. The gun cradle had a pintle with a bearing plate. I have made a matching socket and bearing plate mounted to one leg of the tripod. I have just created a youtube channel dedicated to cannons i and friends have owned and shot, so videos of this Puckle will soon be made.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	86D5E960-F96F-43A5-9C6F-A5F51C47CC93.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.11 MB ID:	1923438 Click image for larger version  Name:	69BB79B4-26D6-4C06-87E8-5F17BC091B1D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.81 MB ID:	1923439 Click image for larger version  Name:	0EC16B33-698E-46BF-9F76-0F84D2512F39.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.66 MB ID:	1923441
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Ironbearmarine; 01-23-2021, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Ironbear, how do you intend to proof test this baby? (hope you will post firing video's if possible) Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jmm03 View Post
              Ironbear, how do you intend to proof test this baby? (hope you will post firing video's if possible) Jim
              well Jim, the chambers were made of solid billets of heat treated chromoly alloyed steel, which is what is used for making high velocity big bore guns. Working pressures that are considered safe are figured at 4:1 ratios. Most high pressure users add a huge fudge factor of 6:1, giving 150,000 psi tensile strength a 15,000 psi safe chamber pressure which is what current 40mm high velocity m19 automatic guns achieve.
              So before i started this project i had already proved the chambers design by testing a chamber with smokeless modern powder. So i know, also from previous cannon builds that the barrel and chambers are safe. The real weak point is the recoil load on the grade 8 threaded stud. So the question is can the breech lock mechanism withstand the working pressures. Theoretically it can, but proof testing will show for sure. Videos will be provided.

Comment

For the low pressure chamber block, i had to build another ignition mechanism. Rather than a similar spring/ hammer type i went with an inertia “slap” type mechanism. A simple bar type hammer with a hand activated (slap) lever to ignite the musket cap. Again made from stainless steel to avoid spark hazard.

Name:	76D0A658-7072-4ACF-B36C-70D3E14322A0.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	1928822 Click image for larger version

Name:	A1B9AC49-44FA-4408-A9F3-7C6F0B874C54.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	1928823 Click image for larger version

Name:	5E850172-DA3E-45C2-B992-4BEE17967567.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	1928824

Comment

Lookin' good Ironbearmarine! That's the biggest revolver I've seen yet! Not really a revo, but kind of.
                  Kansas City area

Comment

I am not wanting to violate any rules, but i have put up a you tube channel wherein i am putting up videos of some of my projects... not how to, but just sharing the fun. Mostly cannon stuff but soon other metalworking projects too. Here is the link: https://youtube.com/channel/UCGoTarcLXEeWvmo20gGZltg
                    if this is poor form please let me know and i will remove it. Otherwise just look for Rowbear Pucklebuck on youtube. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Ironbearmarine View Post
                      I am not wanting to violate any rules, but i have put up a you tube channel wherein i am putting up videos of some of my projects... not how to, but just sharing the fun. Mostly cannon stuff but soon other metalworking projects too. Here is the link: https://youtube.com/channel/UCGoTarcLXEeWvmo20gGZltg
                      if this is poor form please let me know and i will remove it. Otherwise just look for Rowbear Pucklebuck on youtube. Thanks
                      No violations here, but thanks for considering it. I've enjoyed your posts and will be taking a look at the videos.
                      George
                      Traverse City, MI

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
                        Lookin' good Ironbearmarine! That's the biggest revolver I've seen yet! Not really a revo, but kind of.
                        It is exactly a giant cap and ball revolver. I don’t know if Sam Colt ever saw a puckle gun but revolving cylinder guns certainly predated him.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	8DFADD20-0163-483B-8810-628205FB0AF8.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	22.6 KB ID:	1930381

Comment

Cool build, thanks for posting it. I have no idea of the legalities of building and firing something like that in Canada, but I can presume we're not allowed lol. Can't wait for the firing videos. Would love to witness something like that in person someday. I love shooting black powder but don't do it nearly enough (5-10 rounds a year before muzzle loader deer season).

Comment

I just posted an 8 minute video on youtube about my Puckle Gun including function tests of the ignition systems.
                            https://youtu.be/Y_CTJROevaI

Comment

Thanks for posting the video! Can’t wait to see the live fire! Great build!
                              When I get Time... I'll...

Comment

Cool video Iron Bear, I think project videos are some of my favorite things on this site, it fleshes out the progression that you sometimes miss just from stills. Oh, and very stylish fabrication duds, what with a Harris tweed overcoat and a beret... cold in the shop is it?

Comment

Working...
                                X