Piloted center drill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piloted center drill

I’m looking for piloted center drill. I had a three piece set in a wood box...it has disappeared. I would like to find another set but really in need of the .224 tool.

Manson Precision Reamers, mansonreamers.com, makes them.
    David Kaiser
    “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

What is a piloted center drill?
      12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
      Index "Super 55" mill
      18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
      7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
      24" State disc sander

Comment

“C” piloted center drill/cutter

Comment

I would call that either a countersink or a reamer, depending on it's use.

A standard center drill such as the one below from Little Machine Shop.com has a small pilot drill to start it and allow a place for the center's tip to go. Then come the larger flutes that cut the surface that the center bears against.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	2987.480.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	1895444
          It seems that if you want a pilot for a specific caliber, you could press fit a collar on the small drill and then turn it down to the desired diameter.

Dan
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
            I...A standard center drill such as the one below from Little Machine Shop.com has a small pilot drill to start it and allow a place for the center's tip to go. Then come the larger flutes that cut the surface that the center bears against.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	2987.480.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	1895444...
            That's all I've ever used to create a center. Also use spotting drill to locate a hole before drilling.
            12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
            Index "Super 55" mill
            18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
            7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
            24" State disc sander

Comment

Originally posted by Sleddog View Post
              “C” piloted center drill/cutter
              Sir, you would be well served to simply use your indicator to dial in the end of your barrel then use your compound and a sharp tool to cut the center.

Comment

deleted
                Last edited by SilveradoHauler; 10-22-2020, 10:49 PM.

Comment

That’s exactly the set I had & am looking for. Are yours for sale?
                  When the machine doesn’t allow doing the work through the headstock, cutting accurate new centers is the best alternative. I realize there are new & better ways of dialing in the bore.

Comment

deleted
                    Last edited by SilveradoHauler; 10-22-2020, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Looks like a VERY nice shop.
                      I recall you posting some pictures of your past work. Always top notch.

Hal

Comment

deleted
                        Last edited by SilveradoHauler; 10-22-2020, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Very nice looking shop.
                          I shot NBRSA matches from the late ‘70 till about 1985. I also went to several Super Shoots as well as some National events. I burned myself out...building Varmint Rifles, BR guns, making bullets. I had a chance to sell my equipment & tooling. I didn’t pull a trigger for over 25 years! I’ve still got 3 BR guns...HV, Sporter & Unlimited all 6PPC. I’ve got a 600 Remington .222 in a Brown Precision stock with a shot out McMillan barrel. I’m going to rebarrel it. My Grandson will use it as a coyote calling gun.

Comment

deleted
                            Last edited by SilveradoHauler; 10-22-2020, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Here on the Hood Canal i have a 200 count herd of elk as neighbors. The cougars, poachers, and occasional logging truck keep the numbers down. When i used to hunt i used a Siamese Mauser in 45/70. These days i am making and shooting artillery. But not at elk.

Comment

Working...
                              X