No announcement yet.

Shortening shotgun barrels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even easier. I was looking at a choke tube and noticed it has a very small chamfer on the end. Took a telescoping gage and looks like the taper ends a good 1/4" from the end of the choke tube. So it seems like you could put the choke tube in a lathe and make the chamfer a little bigger with plenty of room to work before opening up the choke. Plus you can buy another choke tube if it doesn't work right. Just a thought.

Comment

Hello SteveF, I've had this gun for years and I machined out a tube that is sized to drop into barrel in place of the choke tubes when loading. The interior end of the tube
      is relieved to clear the threads in the barrels while the bore of it matches the the barrel bore. Going from the interior end to the muzzle end the tube tapers outward, like you're
      describing. It works great, it's just that I long ago got my fill of dragging choke tubes and wrenches around with me. Maybe I should have been clearer. It works but I
      don't want to have to do it anymore. Was curious if a competent gunsmith would whack the choke recesses off.

Comment

I guess I’m missing something here. You say it’s tough to load past the tight chokes. I don’t doubt that a bit. So, you want to eliminate the tubes, and cut off the barrels so no threads or counterbores remain. I agree this will make loading much easier. You won’t have any chokes with straight pipes.

You also say say you have a cyl and IC choke tubes. Why not put them in and shoot ‘em? It would accomplish the easy loading without any bother cutting off the barrels. As I said before, am I missing something?
        I cut it off twice; it's still too short
        Oregon, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post
          I guess I’m missing something here. You say it’s tough to load past the tight chokes. I don’t doubt that a bit. So, you want to eliminate the tubes, and cut off the barrels so no threads or counterbores remain. I agree this will make loading much easier. You won’t have any chokes with straight pipes.

You also say say you have a cyl and IC choke tubes. Why not put them in and shoot ‘em? It would accomplish the easy loading without any bother cutting off the barrels. As I said before, am I missing something?
          thats my thoughts as well, just put in the cyl IC tubes and shoot it.
          and with a muzzle loader, you can mildly adjust patterning with the load.
          lower velocity load will hold tighter than a high velocity load.
          anyways, with a muzzle loading 10ga, throwing 2oz of shot, geez how much 'choke' do you need?
          No way would I cut the barrels. No way !!

Comment

I see your point Ringo. I think I'm gonna leave well enough alone and just let it hang on the wall where its been for probably
            the last ten years.

Comment

Originally posted by Proudpappy View Post
              In retrospect I've come to understand that choke tubes are out of place on a muzzleloader. But, like a few other things, I just had to have it.
              In "The Gun and Its Development" WW Greener talked about the invention of choked barrels. He has some drawings of chokes from when muzzle-loaders were common, interestingly some of them were bored out, not constricted, below the muzzle. Presumably that made them much easier to load since the choke wasn't a constriction. He even has plates showing the shot patterning on targets.

Trying to do that with a double, at least after the barrels have been soldered up, would be an enormous hassle, but if you ever get the letch to experiment with a single barrel it wouldn't be too hard to do.

You can find .PDF copies of scans all over the place; the later 1910 edition is the most common. I went ahead and bought a paperback reprint I keep by the bed; yes, it's over a hundred years old, but it's full of fascinating stuff, even little tidbits like Queen Victoria attending matches at Bisley and starting the proceedings by taking the first shot.

I was surprised to find that the innards of a common break-open shotgun can be notably more complex than some autoloaders. Once you add cock-on-opening, ejection or extraction, automatic safety, etc. there can be a lot of parts inside that "simple" breech box...

Comment

Working...
              X