Mold Cherry Cutting Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mold Cherry Cutting Speed

I have a couple of 22 cal nose pour cherries from the estate of a mold maker named Eagan that died some years ago and plan to use them to make some molds.
    These cherries are designed to cut brass.
    I have a double acting or centering vise as some call them modified to hold mold blocks.
    I have done a few molds in aluminum with cherries that I made, but it has been a while and I don’t remember the spindle speed that I used.
    The nose pour designs have a weak point at the nose junction with the shaft that hose into the collet.
    Any input on cutting speed?

The nose pour molds I have made. The blocks were the same length as the bullet and had a plate on each end. By changing plates I could have a nose pour or a base pour. This allowed to have a cherry with shank at the base. I then cut each half to near finish. Then put them on the handles closed them over the cherry and hand reamed to finish.

If you try to cut a mold with the existing cherry. you will have a Hugh chip load and likely snap the cherry. The chips will also likely score the mold
    I have made molds in steel, cast iron, brass, and aluminum.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Ford View Post
      The nose pour molds I have made. The blocks were the same length as the bullet and had a plate on each end. By changing plates I could have a nose pour or a base pour. This allowed to have a cherry with shank at the base. I then cut each half to near finish. Then put them on the handles closed them over the cherry and hand reamed to finish.

If you try to cut a mold with the existing cherry. you will have a Hugh chip load and likely snap the cherry. The chips will also likely score the mold
      I have made molds in steel, cast iron, brass, and aluminum.

Bob
      This cherry was made and used by a very experienced mold maker named Eagan!
      I read that he was popular in single shot competition.
      I also have a 30cal tapered nose pour cherry from the same mold maker that I did successfully use to make an aluminum double cavity mold .
      If it worked in the past I believe that it should be able to work again! I don’t remember the spindle speed since it was over 10 years ago.
      I plan to use brass just like he did and it will be a single cavity.

Comment

Little machine shop chart.https://littlemachineshop.com/refere...tingspeeds.php

With the small shank I would go easy on feed to cut down chip load.

Comment

Thanks, I bookmarked it!

Would I treat a cherry like a reamer or an end mill?
          Last edited by deltaenterprizes; 05-31-2021, 08:06 PM.

Comment

An end mill until the last .002.

Comment

Working...
            X