Drilling For a Barrel Liner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling For a Barrel Liner

Going to put a barrel liner in a old 22 with an extremely bad bore. Do I need a piloted drill even when using a lathe? Thought of starting the hole on each side with a piloted counter bore, and then using a long bit, but it is a long way to drill. I guess I could make some kind of grinding jig to grind down the end of a HSS bit, but I am unclear as to grinding the shoulders on the step so it properly cuts.

All you need to know: https://www.brownells.com/userdocs/l...el%20Liner.pdf
    SE MI, USA

Comment

Brownells does not have that bit in stock. It is backordered. When I called and asked, they had no ETA. I did find a Midway video where a standard bit was used. Has anyone done one this way? And did the holes meet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ7sQya7tyk

Comment

I’m in the same boat with an old stevens favorite barrel. It needs a liner and the long piloted drill bits from brownells and other places seem to be in short supply. It’s a project on hold for a while.

Comment

Speaking from experience, wait till you can find a pilot drill of the proper size. If you don't, especially in a pitted barrel, the drill has a tendency to wander or drift. I know it is a pain to have a project and have to wait till you find the right drill but messing up a barrel is a bigger pain.

Don

Comment

Gun drill bits for making the hole are single flute, but they are cutting solid material. To open the hole for a liner, I would be tempted to grind a pilot diameter on a twist drill or a reamer and put the standard pitch and lead on the flutes. A reamer with ground pilot would end up cutting just like a chambering reamer on the shoulder area. At least that way it will be forced to follow the hole and drilling from each end is likely to match up well enough.

Comment

Got a notification they are back in stock, so I ordered one from Brownells. Anyone have a 22lr chamber reamer recommendation? I have one of the PTG floating reamer holders I picked up a while back at the estate sale of a gunsmith, so that base is already covered.

Comment

Originally posted by gzig5 View Post
                Gun drill bits for making the hole are single flute, but they are cutting solid material. To open the hole for a liner, I would be tempted to grind a pilot diameter on a twist drill or a reamer and put the standard pitch and lead on the flutes. A reamer with ground pilot would end up cutting just like a chambering reamer on the shoulder area. At least that way it will be forced to follow the hole and drilling from each end is likely to match up well enough.
                They are not drilling a new barrel, that would require a gun drill setup. As is they are drilling out a worn barrel to a finish size of 5/16. The piloted drill bit centers the drill bit up on the bore and makes the drill stay concentric with the existing bore.

Comment

Hey guys, its a bunch of machinists here and you can't figure out how to drill a pilot on the end of a 5/16 drill bit??? Have non of you ever made a flat bottom drill with a pilot?

Comment

I had just finished watching a 1969 film on the Williamsburg historical village. Its entirety was of the gunsmith building a flintlock rifle with iron ore, blocks of wood and the hand made tools of a 1700’s gunsmith. The barrel making alone is amazing. No Brownells then of course. But it just shows what can be accomplished with simple tools and good craftsmanship.

Comment

Originally posted by kf2qd View Post

They are not drilling a new barrel, that would require a gun drill setup. As is they are drilling out a worn barrel to a finish size of 5/16. The piloted drill bit centers the drill bit up on the bore and makes the drill stay concentric with the existing bore.
                      Yes, that is what I suggested. Making a pilot on the front of a drill or reamer.

Comment

Working...
                      X