No announcement yet.

My Gatling Gun Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm thinking that allthough it looks like alot of fun to build the carriage,it would save alot of time,and money to make a period tripod(foldable) that would take up less space when finished.I invision this standing on display in the livingroom,or future office. Ya,your right I don't see that flyin with the old lady either.I can see my two teenage boys playin war when no ones home! How much is invested into just the carriage?
    I'm a real fast learner,it just takes me awhile to pick things up.

Comment

The tripod would store easier that the carriage, I don't know what it would take as I have no plans for a tripod, but the elevation mount and cradle are the same. I would guess (I don't keep records on these things) cost around $800 with brass and wheels. I made the carriage out of Black Walnut, other wood may cost less. Brass is the killer on this unless you can find scrap to use.

Comment

Rolland, great looking job on the carriage. I started on my gun about 2 years ago and still have a ways to go on it. I did complete the tripod last year. I built it for the same reasons you and JND have been talking about. I figured it would be a lot easier to store and transport than the carriage. I am building the D&E gun and it comes with plans for the tripod. It is made of birch wood and brass. The wood was dyed and then finished with tung oil. Here are a few pics of it sitting on my dining room table. It does have rubber pads on the bottom of the feet to prevent scratching.

Jonathan P.

Comment

That is a great looking tripod, you did nice work. I am suprised you can still type after setting that on that magnificent table. I like the one piece brass yoke. I don't/didn't have anything to do that with when I made mine so its three pieces of steel.

Comment

Rolland, the yoke on my tripod is made up of 4 pieces of brass. The main yoke, the round base, and the two ears. By ears I mean the bottom half of the part the gun actually sits in. I didn't have a piece of brass big enough to make it out of one piece either so I improvised. The lock handle that prevents the yoke from swiveling was made up of 3 parts.

My wife didn't mind it being on the table to much. We never use it anyway.
            Jonathan P.

Comment

Thanks for the pics,that is very nicely done! I'm not familiar with the D&E gun I'll have to check it out.I was thinking of an extending surveyors tripod,just not as tall,and prob not orange I'm just getting back into machining,and a little nervous about being able to do as nice of work as what you guys have been posting.I believe I have the nesc.equipment,just have to get more tooling.
              I'm a real fast learner,it just takes me awhile to pick things up.

Comment

freaking awesome

Comment

Calico .22LR Crank "Gatling Gun"

Anyone remember these? I actually bought one at a gun show in Phoenix, long ago! imp

IF IT'S ELECTRICITY, IT'S ME.

Comment

Nice vid Imp! Thanks!
                    Kansas City area

Comment

And the danged thing performed even worse than mine! imp
                      IF IT'S ELECTRICITY, IT'S ME.

Comment

Working...
                      X