Completed winter project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completed winter project

For all practical purposes, my winter project is complete. I still need to finish the stock and put a finish on all bare metal. But it has been fired 36 times and all is doing well.

This is a single shot, bolt action. The parent case is a full length 50BMG necked down to a .416. I had Pacific Tool & Gauge to fabricate a match reamer (tight neck). I am shooting Lehigh solid brass, 416 gr bullet having a BC nearing 1.0. The barrel blank was fabricated by Benchmark using a single point cut (1:12 twist). Barrel length is 34 inches weighing 14 pounds and is chrome moly. I am nearing 230 gr of H869 powder with no signs of excessive pressure (yet). Using 204 gr of H869 (starting load) velocities were in excess of 3200 fps. Approaching 229 grains of H869 I realized slightly over 3500 fps. Unless pressure takes a jump, I am thinking that around 231 gr of powder I should either approach or exceed 3700 fps.

The rifle sports a 8X32 Night-force scope topped off with a Barrett BORS. I have 30 minutes of angle on the scope mounting system which barely allows me to sight the rifle at 100 meters. Using BORS and the angled scope mount, I should be able to easily realize 3000 meters with little difficulty.

The trigger is a Jewel set at 15 oz. I fabricated the bolt from 4140 sporting three locking lugs each being an inch long. The bolt was commercially heat treated. The receiver (also commercially heat treated) is fabricated from 17-4SS also having one inch long locking lugs providing a total lock-up of two inches.

I fabricated the receiver as a right-hand bolt with a left-side loading port.

Weight is 35 pounds. It is currently shooting a wee less than a 1/2" - 5 shot group at 100 meters. There is no recoil.

Harold
    For those having fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
    Freedom is only one generation away from extinction.

Another image from port side

Image from the port side.

Harold
    For those having fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

Comment

Hwingo,

Beautiful job. I have never done any gun making or smithing but I have thought about it since I started metal working. How many hours do you think you have in the gun and if this is something you don't mind revealing, how much $$ do you have in it? I would love to try something like this before I expire.

Jack.

Comment

Super job Harold.
        John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

I've built several, several guns. .That one is extremely impressive..Excellent pictures too, howd you get rid of the background?

Comment

would that be a snipers gun ? im not at all gun savy . . . .

Comment

Very impressive and a well thought out build. Congratulations on a job well done.
              Jim H.

Comment

Well done! If the barrel is good the action looks solid enough that you should get great long range accuracy. I really like the scope base, have done this with some of my single shot rifles.

Bob

Comment

Harold, you have spared little expense, and have the results to show for it.

Absolutely fantastic!

Comment

Good Morning Guys,

After posting the images, I set my jaw to making some reloading aids. However, before getting into that I will try to answer some questions.

Regarding cost to fabricate the "Wingonator", I wish that question had not been asked. After adding everything up, I was taken back. I never realized how much I had invested. A very quick tabulation indicates that I have invested approximately $5670.00 in scope, BORS, rings, barrel blank, reamer, wood for stock, trigger, and muzzle break not taking into consideration cost of heat treatment or cost of raw metals for receiver and bolt.

The second major expense was tooling. Though I had a very nice Super Spacer, I had to purchase a small Universal Indexer to cut 48 degree camming angles on the bolt's locking lugs and the receiver's internal locking lugs. Aside from that, carbide inserts and carbide milling cutters were forever broken at a rapid pace thus requiring new cutters. Living in Alaska does have a down side ...... shipping cost. At times I was impatient and I requested various things to be shipped either over-night or 2nd day delivery. That, in itself, extracts a pound of flesh.

Just a quick estimate would likely bring the total somewhere around $6000-$6500.00. I took my time (~1 year), trying my best to think out each move before fabricating a piece. Often I would fabricate various elements in aluminum before finalizing in 4140 or 17-4. Believe it or not, fabricating the receiver and bolt head was a thought provoking process ...... and time consuming too! I broke 8 new 3/16 long carbide Atrix cutters (one after another) before the tri-lobe bolt head was completely divided. I didn't have that problem in aluminum.

Regarding the images and a white background, the background was accomplished using Adobe CS2. These are poor images and I was reluctant to even post them. I captured these images using a digital camera (NIKON D2X) and available light. I have a photographic studio and ordinarily I use my large format camera (SINAR F2) to capture my images on film but I had a weak moment and used the D2X. Using table-top lighting and the SINAR, I can produce superior work as compared to lesser cameras, e.g., Hasselblad or NIKONS because the SINAR has fully articulated movements. Maybe, when I get off my butt, I will produce some REAL images of the “Wingonator”.

Davidh asked, “Would this be a sniper gun”? I suppose it could be but this is certainly not my intent; I fabricated this rifle for competitive shooting (punching holes in paper from long distances).

Thanks to all for viewing my posts and all the positive comments.

Harold

Comment

Very nice. I've been accumulating raw material and making tools for a couple years to do a 50 BMG build myself.

It is turning into a more difficult project than I imagined.

Comment

Harold,

Thanks for the reply. Well, for sure I won't be trying to produce one of these guns. If I ever do try to make a gun it will be one that costs a whole lot less. Once again, beautiful work.

Jack.

Comment

Harold:
                          The Varmint Hunters Association used to have a long shot of the year contest. It looks like you have a good prospect for entering that contest.
                          Very nice looking rifle!
                          Byron Boucher
                          Burnet, TX

Comment

Originally posted by davidh
                            would that be a snipers gun ? im not at all gun savy . . . .
                            Nope... this would be Harold's gun.

Nice work Harold. Do you have any photos of your operations/set-ups during the build process? I'd sure like to see how you went about some of these steps of the build.
                            Video meliora proboque deteriora sequor

www.garagegunsmithing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Cobbler
                              Nope... this would be Harold's gun.

Nice work Harold. Do you have any photos of your operations/set-ups during the build process? I'd sure like to see how you went about some of these steps of the build.
                              I photographically documented a large percentage of this build. During the last phase I basically stopped shooting images. I also did a lot of drawing in the initial phase so as to help me remember each step and why I did what I did during different stages.

My next build will be either a 338 Cheytac or a 375 Cheytac. For the most part my receiver is finished. Will send that off, along with the bolt, to get heat treatment.

Harold

Comment

Working...
                              X