AK Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AK Question?

Anyone here have info regarding the AK 47 line of Firearms? I been perowsing the internet and found that the ak world site is not that accurate regarding which one is the One to own. Im NOT a Paramilitary type of firearm Guy BUT with my remote trips in crazy Indian Reserve areas and also Bear Problems I decided to get a folding stocj hi cap firearm for the bottom of my sleeping bag instead of my usual 12 gauge 3 shot shotgun. I did want a magazine fed semi auto shotgun but we arent allowwed to own them in canada cause we may shoot both our feet of instead of just one foot? Thanx Mike

I've got a Yugo M70AB2 built on a Dan Coonan Industries (DCI) stamped receiver (1.6mm thick RPK type, not the usual 1mm light AK type). Heavy. Also has wood hand guards that I'm pretty fond of vs. the synthetic hardware. No complaints.

They seem to be pretty popular last I heard.

Comment

You want to go on a bear hunt with an AK, lots of guts no brains. I think you will find that you can't have an AK in Canada any more anyways, not even semi-auto and if you could there is the mag. capacity issue. Small mags only.
      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

The 7.62 x 39 is basically the stopping power as a 30-30. AKs are wildly inaccurate compared to othe black rifles. You only advantage with a bear is you have 30 chances to really piss him off.
        They are fun as hell to shoot though.
        honestly?
        In bear country I'd preferr a semi auto riot gun with magnum slugs.

Comment

I bought a couple Saiga 12 gauge AKs with 20 rd drums. Awesome fire power!

Comment

Depends on where you are. AK's are banned where I live. Seems you are in Canada, sorry I don't know the rules there, but isn't there a high cap mag prohibition? For bears, the AK is a poor choice anyway. Can you get a 5 shot pump 12ga shotgun? That would be a much better choice. Or how about a big caliber revolver ( 44Mag or larger)?

Comment

You might be able to get a SKS hunting rifle and convert it?

They don't like handguns for hunting or protection up here........course you can be judged by 12 or carried by 6.........
              Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

Ak,s seem to be quite popular in my country for rhino hunting. Mind you they are quite popular for shopping in the larger malls as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D.
                  Depends on where you are. AK's are banned where I live. Seems you are in Canada, sorry I don't know the rules there, but isn't there a high cap mag prohibition? For bears, the AK is a poor choice anyway. Can you get a 5 shot pump 12ga shotgun? That would be a much better choice. Or how about a big caliber revolver ( 44Mag or larger)?
                  Most semi automatic military weapons are on the restricted list in Canada, unless you had one before they where restricted you can't have one, no full auto weapons period. As far as I know there is no hunting with handguns, you can't even fire one on your own property, even if it was a farm way out beyond nowhere, legally you can only shoot one at a range. No carry permits, period, not even security guards, with rare exceptions for guards (armored car crew etc). There is a mag. capacity limit, 10 rds for pistols, rifles ??? All firearms are suppose to be registered, even long guns (most long guns aren't) but that might change.

Your average gun toting red neck American wouldn't be very happy here.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Restricted?

AK s are still sold in Ontario ,you need a 12/6 PAL which I hold. Thanx for the Info. I have a shotgun (a few actually) I just wanted something compact for the bottom of the sleeping bag (folder stock type) and a hi cap mag (50 would be nice) for back in the bush Preparedness situations. Thanx Mike

Comment

if you can legally own one,
                      i think that you should go get one.

i love mine and laugh when people talk about the innacuracy.

lots of these replies sound like people who have never even shot an ak.
                      people just parroting what they have read/heard.

thats my .02,
                      leon

Comment

I've owned an AK, shot an AK and sold an AK because, compared to my other rifles, the accuracy was seriously substandard.

Number of AKs I've ever seen being used in High Power Rifle matches - zero.

Steve

Comment

Ak's were designed to absolutely reliable in the hands of peasant conscript soldiers that would spray RD's out to a hundred yards or so. Accuracy was less important.

Comment

Originally posted by madman
                            AK s are still sold in Ontario ,you need a 12/6 PAL which I hold. Thanx for the Info. I have a shotgun (a few actually) I just wanted something compact for the bottom of the sleeping bag (folder stock type) and a hi cap mag (50 would be nice) for back in the bush Preparedness situations. Thanx Mike
                            Here's the link to the rules. http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/index-eng.htm

Hi-cap mags in a centrefire is a no-go as is a 12/6 in your sleeping bag while camping. Legally the most centre fire rounds allowed are in a Lee Enfield then 8 in a Garand.

You can get some really nice short barreled shotguns from dlaskarms that would fit in the sleeping bag.

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut
                              Ak's were designed to absolutely reliable in the hands of peasant conscript soldiers that would spray RD's out to a hundred yards or so. Accuracy was less important.
                              Indeed.

http://mouseguns.com/compare.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X