Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Owen sub-machine gun

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Owen sub-machine gun

    "The Owen was the only entirely Australian-designed and constructed service submachine gun of World War II and was used by the Australian Army from 1943 until the mid-1960s."

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Gun

    https://www.militaryfactory.com/smal...allarms_id=479


    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evelyn_Owen

  • #2
    Originally posted by tlfamm View Post
    "The Owen was the only entirely Australian-designed and constructed service submachine gun of World War II and was used by the Australian Army from 1943 until the mid-1960s."
    From Wiki:

    " The placement of the magazine allows gravity to assist the magazine spring in pushing cartridges down to the breech, which improves feeding reliability. "

    Is there some reason why the Aussies alone weren't able to make magazine springs that work properly so they could put the magazine in the right place?

    Steve

    Comment


    • #3
      It was also used in the Vietnam war
      Last edited by mirhamxa; 12-12-2018, 06:50 PM.
      Vancouver general contractors

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by SteveF View Post
        From Wiki:

        " The placement of the magazine allows gravity to assist the magazine spring in pushing cartridges down to the breech, which improves feeding reliability. "

        Is there some reason why the Aussies alone weren't able to make magazine springs that work properly so they could put the magazine in the right place?

        Steve
        It's cause they're down under. Right?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by SteveF View Post
          From Wiki:

          " The placement of the magazine allows gravity to assist the magazine spring in pushing cartridges down to the breech, which improves feeding reliability. "

          Is there some reason why the Aussies alone weren't able to make magazine springs that work properly so they could put the magazine in the right place?

          Steve
          It sounds like the magazine design added to it's reliability. Springs are fine, but springs strong enough to push 33 bullets can make it a hassle to load.
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by danlb View Post
            but springs strong enough to push 33 bullets can make it a hassle to load.
            My Mac mags are 32 rounders. Takes a lot longer to load them than it does to empty them.

            Comment


            • #7
              If concerned about a spring then why not a drum mag under the gun?
              It's only ink and paper

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by danlb View Post
                It sounds like the magazine design added to it's reliability. Springs are fine, but springs strong enough to push 33 bullets can make it a hassle to load.
                I'll take tiny bit (strongly stressing "tiny bit") of loading hassle over can't see the frickin' target any day.

                This is one of the lessons I just was teaching to a 23 year old. If you think something should be done a certain way, and EVERYONE else thinks it should be done another way, there is probably a good chance you are the one who is wrong.

                Steve

                Comment


                • #9
                  This post needs some pics.
                  The designer started at 16 years of age. He Owen has many unique features.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The Owen wasn't all that strange, at least for a Commonwealth design. The Brits were ridiculously devoted to the Bren LMG, which also fed downhill.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The Bren was a Czech design(BR=Brno, EN =Enfield). The Germans used Czech versions in 7.92. Changing the magazine was easier when lying down and less chance of jamming the works. Correct me if I am wrong but the US did not adopt the FN-FAL because it wasn't American. The M-16 and it's variants have never quite equaled the AK as a battle rifle - ridiculous devotion?
                      That being said, the Owen magazine placement was daft to say the least. The Sten/Sterling position out the side is the most logical.
                      Last edited by gweloboy; 04-14-2019, 01:39 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by gweloboy View Post
                        .............................Correct me if I am wrong but the US did not adopt the FN-FAL because it wasn't American. The M-16 and it's variants have never quite equaled the AK as a battle rifle - ridiculous devotion? .........................l.
                        While there are many examples of "we like ours better because it's ours" having fired both the M1A (semi version of the M14) and an FN-FAL I'd pick the M14. As far as the M16 never equaling the AK, in many years of High Power Rifle and Military Rifle competition I've never once seen someone show up with an AK. Have fired a couple of them and would much rather have a rifle that will let me hit the target at 300 plus yards. The one I personally owned was about a 8 MOA rifle on its good days.

                        Steve

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Spray and pray will never equal one well aimed and accurate round.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Shooting on a range is different to shooting other people. Most fighting takes place within 100 yards which is why the Russians developed the 7.62 x 39. Miniguns seem to suggest 'spray and pray' does have its strengths.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                              I'd pick the M14. As far as the M16 never equaling the AK, in many years of High Power Rifle and Military Rifle competition I've never once seen someone show up with an AK. Have fired a couple of them and would much rather have a rifle that will let me hit the target at 300 plus yards. The one I personally owned was about a 8 MOA rifle on its good days.Steve
                              Ever seen a slow motion video of an AK being fired? The barrel flops around visibly. Apparently the barrel-receiver connection or the receiver itself is structurally weak.

                              RWO

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X