3rd Party MIG Wire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Party MIG Wire?

I've got a Hobart 190 MIG welder. Very happy with it. Used the first 2lb spool of .024 wire up and was going to get a 10lb. I see on Amazon that there are other brands of wire that are almost 50% cheaper for 10lbs. Curious if anyone has run other wire in their machine? I assume that ER70S wire would be standard from brand to brand? Any recommendations for a source?

I run various brands, none from china. And yes, there can be a difference. Some are a lot smoother than others but in general I've not had a bad experience with the major makers' products.

edit: The last 10 years or so I've used Harris wire, made in Italy.
    Last edited by chipmaker4130; 11-04-2019, 08:07 PM.

Comment

I've ran all different brands of wire in my mig and haven't noticed any difference between any of them.

THANX RICH
      People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

I've been using the store brand from Praxair, and I have some of the Lincoln wire that is supposedly "different" but still meets ER70s6 standards. I've not noticed any difference,and the Praxair wire is cheaper. (Not so their stainless TIG wire.) I noticed Praxair is only competitive in larger quantities though, and smaller diameter wire tends to cost more per pound. Generally unless there is a huge price difference I buy my supplies from the local Praxair store. They treat me decent and give me a good price on gas.
        *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

The stuff I found online is INE brand from Italy. Reviews I found were positive. My local welding supply shop closed and the nearest is AirGas several miles out of the way. I'm going to check what they have for wire before I order online and need to scope out their gas prices. Hopefully they'll have a reasonably priced leather jacket. I got burned to a crisp welding under the car this year and I have a lot more to go with no proper protective gear.

Comment

Good luck with AirGas, unless you're a commercial user. The guys at my local AirGas are top-notch and very friendly/helpful but the prices are, in some cases over three times (acetylene) the price at other vendors. In the case of argon, about double.

Comment

Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post
              Good luck with AirGas, unless you're a commercial user. The guys at my local AirGas are top-notch and very friendly/helpful but the prices are, in some cases over three times (acetylene) the price at other vendors. In the case of argon, about double.
              AYUP! I send a lot of folks to Praxair for gas because of Airgas. Not just their prices either. Some of Praxair's misc consumables like tips aren't to bad for their store brand either. Not as cheap as purchasing import stuff in bulk packs, but better than the name brand consumables, and just as good.
              *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Well, Airgas bought the local Fox Welding supply store that I used to use and closed them down after a short time. Figured that out yesterday. I found a WELD supply house that was actually closer and stopped there today to look at jackets and see about wire cost. I like the shop and I think they will be a good source moving forward. Was able to get a 10 lb spool for $51 which is more than online, but I don't mind buying from a local shop. Counter guy was helpful, consumables were fairly priced, and gas was in line with the old Fox store. I'll go back when I need gas.

They didn't have a big selection of jackets. Just green cloth Tillman and one combo leather and cloth jacket. I don't think cloth will hold up well to laying under the car horizontal so I think I'm going to hold out for some sort of leather setup. I'd like to keep it flexible so maybe a cape and apron or something like that.

Comment

You know some time back I got tired of welding gloves that didn't last. I went on the MSC website and bought the most expensive pair of welding gloves they had. When I saw the cuffs came up to my armpits I figured I got my money's worth. I actually decided I liked those long welding gloves, and when I cooked off the fingers on the left glove again I found my local Praxair store had armpit gloves for a lot less than MSC.

Comment

Working...
                  X