Low temp aluminum flux core wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low temp aluminum flux core wire

I was rummaging on e-bay and saw this alum "welding" rod. I bought a pack of 20. ….

I have been playing with it and it is different than the other common low temp rod that is basically zinc. This stuff is 1/16 " dia and apparently has a flux core. I haven't tried joining anything with it as yet. It does wet the base metal pretty well and leaves a whiteish color "bloom" , which I suppose is from the flux. The deposit sure looks like aluminum and not zinc. Melts at a temp well below that of the base metal aluminum... just using propane Interesting stuff for sure. Anyone had any experience with this stuff? Shows on e- bay with this heading … Thanks … Joe B

Easy Melt Welding Rods Low Temperature Aluminum Wire Brazing 20pcs - 1.6mm*500mm

Not the same brand, but Amazon has a flux-core aluminum rod. It has overwhelmingly negative reviews due to the high melting point of the rod - the base material melts by the time the rod does.
    https://tinyurl.com/rxkbmnf

Maybe yours has just enough zinc in it to lower the melting point to a usable level. Yet still be stronger than zinc alone.

Comment

If I needed to gas weld aluminum I would use TIG filler and this flux,
      https://www.tinmantech.com/products/...lding-flux.php

Comment

When I was doing refrigeration work, the aluminum evaporators (R12/R134a) small pinholes were repairable with a soft aluminum solder and liquid flux that looked like honey just using low temperature Prest O Lite or propane torches. Something from the people who make Harris Stay Brite #8 solder, a low temperature silver bearing solder we used in refrigeration work. https://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/...older-500.aspx
        Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

Thanks guys , good info on the flux / solder and weld flux. I have played with torch welding aluminum, pretty tricky for sure but that is the way it was all done "back in the day" before TIG.

Joe B

Comment

Originally posted by JoeCB View Post
            but that is the way it was all done "back in the day" before TIG.

Joe B
            You mean world war 2?

Comment

Originally posted by BigMike782 View Post

You mean world war 2?
              Actually back in the day when I had to fight a Dino for a seat on the bus, Aluminum was primarily flame welded although the Germans had some interesting arc machines in development.

It was around 60 when some real expensive Heliarc machines started showing up in places called Labs with locked doors they wouldn't let me into. It used DC and Helium.
              By then we had a single carbon arc process and a product called Everdur that was sweet on steel.

Same time frame a lot of Aluminum BRAZING was going on in the household icebox replacement replacing ice and putting the ice man on Unemployment. It was an O/H process primarily and involved prepping the aluminum with nasty acid, Nitric if I recall correctly.
              Next thing you knew near everybody had an ice box that used electric instead of ice, kept ice cream frozen and even made ice cubes you needed a box full of tools to get out of the tray.

Then along came another generation of machines called TIG cause nobody could spell Tungsten or knew what Inert Gas meant. They still kept the machines locked in Labs.

Bein they wouldn't let me play I just kept O/A welding most things.

Comment

Working...
              X