Recommended Auto-Dark Helmet for under $75

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Franz© View Post

DEMAND a skylight, or one of them high priced hunks of mylar flex duct penetrating the roof to a sunlight dome.
    Points you can make
    It's the green thing to do.
    EPA will love it and the company can get Carbon Credits
    It cuts the need for fossil fuels
    and the all time favored
    It's for the children.

In the alternative you can insist on a company provided lounge chair so you and the helmet can stock up on Solar radiation.
    Hahahahhaa skylights. It took 5 years to get them to fix the roof so it wouldn't rain on the brand new racks of steel.

I hang my hoods in the window at home now.

Comment

School District here reroofed some buildings 2 years after putting new ceilings under leaking roofs.
      Being a concerned taxpayer I attended the Board meeting and asked why another coat of mopped on tar instead of a rubber roof. They had an answer. In the event it's necessary to penetrate the roof with tar we don't have to bring in the rubber contractor and don't loose warranty on the roof.
      OK, I've been here for 50 years, other than new construction, when was any existing roof penetrated?
      They had no answer.

They really started getting nasty when I asked why a Union Contractor was being brought in to do paving when 3 Town Highway Departments were looking for work. One Board member informed me highway departments only knew how to pave roads, not parking lots. Pray tell, what is a parking lot but a 22 lane road??

The following day I was offered a seat on the District Long Range Planning Committee. They misthunk my need to work for free.

Comment

Originally posted by ncjeeper View Post
        I just upgraded from a Hobart to a Lincoln Viking 3350. I paid 250 for it on E-Bay. OMG! This helmet rocks. You can see so clearly welding and prior to welding. No more green haze like all the others. Well worth the money.
        Yep, I got a Viking a year ago. Man what a nice hood.

Comment

Franz thats why your taxes are so high at least for schools anyway. The school board is staffed with bank presidents and teachers…. not people who have worked in the real world. The only time an existing roof has a penetration is maybe when a new HVAC unit or electrical is installed. A rubber roof usually has as you know a 20 year warranty and its still in effect if you have the penetration done and capped with that company. I would take a rubber roof any day over a hot tar one!
          Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post
            Franz thats why your taxes are so high at least for schools anyway. The school board is staffed with bank presidents and teachers…. not people who have worked in the real world. The only time an existing roof has a penetration is maybe when a new HVAC unit or electrical is installed. A rubber roof usually has as you know a 20 year warranty and its still in effect if you have the penetration done and capped with that company. I would take a rubber roof any day over a hot tar one!
            Good point you bring up regarding NY School Boards. Thanks to years of negotiations NY Boards, more appropriately BOREDS, have ceded almost all power to 'teachers' and Superintendents. The power defined by Statute and State Regulation is now little more than rubber stamp authority and monument building. Hilton Central has to my knowledge the ONLY Olympic size pool equipped with fire sprinklers. Should the deadly DiHydrogenMonoxide in the pool burst into flame, the sprinklers will minimize fire damage. Another glaring example is the Rochester City District where the retiring Super purposely busted the budget to create 'teacher' jobs for her Union pals. 60 Million Bidget shortage for the incoming Super to handle with more 'teachers' for less students. AND she of course collects her Pension #3.
            Monuments are a biggy too, including bronze plaques that have to be recast 3 times because the stars names were improperly spelled at a cost of $15,000 per casting that wind up in basement storage because the contractor has left and been paid. In the 50s the Board was the town banker, the oil dealer, the Chevy dealer and Town Doctor. It worked well and costs were sane. Actual teachers imparted knowledge to students for reasonable pay happily. I well recall being taught Unions exist to give low skill workers standing to bargain with big employers and Teachers didn't need Union because they were Professionals.
            That all went down the drain as resume padders from industry sought election to our Board bringing big empty bags of Kodakthink and Dakmanagement. To get along with the evolving Union of Draft Dodgers and Dopers in the VietFnam era they went along and didn't make waves.
            The nightmare grew slowly and thanks in large part to the work of Edward Bernays converted public education to a Dunning Kruger model. Working well, ain't it!

Comment

At the risk of ruining a perfectly good hijack going on here, the ESAB Savage A40 helmet has a True Color Lens and, if you can plump a bit more, is only $90 online
              Len

Comment

Still not under $75, but the HF Vulcan helmet I like is on sale for $119.95 right now (starting Friday?). I paid $149.95 for mine. I think its the first time I have seen it on sale.
                *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

I bought an ANTRA AH7-360-0000 off Amazon. Dual power, solar or battery. The batteries are easy to replace. Works quite well.

Comment

My first autodark was a cheap import from princess auto. I thought it was ok for a long time, until I got my tig welder and couldn't see ****. At lower amps sometimes it wouldn't even trigger, and I got flashed a few times too many. That's when I sprung for a good Lincoln viking with the large shield. WOW. It was pricey ~$500 cdn, but it was easily the best thing that ever happened to my welding aside from more practice. Looking through the old shield I didn't even know what I was missing. I know it's a lot of money, but I've only got one pair of eyes, and after welding with it for a long time my eyes just aren't "tired" like they used to be. The headgear is also very nice. I haven't second guessed spending that money at all and I'm CHEAP.

No doubt the imports have gotten better since then, so you could probably get a much better helmet than mine for under $100 now. We've got a cheap lincoln box store one at work, and it's much better than my cheapy import, but not as good as my viking. If I have a lot of welding to do at work I bring mine in, but for most of the odd little stuff there I just use the shops and it's tolerable.....I guess.....

I still prefer my fibremetal fixed shade with a gold lense for stick welding though. Autodark for mig and tig.

Comment

Working...
                    X