Trailer mod project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer mod project

I have been wanting to do this project for a year or so now. but looking for others inputs or thoughts. Hopefully experienced people will chime in.
    I have an rv trailer that I want to lengthen the frame on to haul atv on. There are manufactures that build similar to what i want.
    The frame on the rv is 4" channel so I plan to stack the extension and box the channel to add extra strength.
    I do understand the affects of weight placement and handling characteristics.
    Any replies are apprectiated and thanks in advance.

Any plan to move the axles forward? I've seen those rigs for years, and while it seems like a great idea, to me it falls under the "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" category. WAY too much tongue weight. The homemade ones I mean. The commercial ones look a bit better, but still hokey.

IMO you're better off putting your fab skills to use making a ramp door in the back of the camper, and hauling your atv inside. Use a drop down bed, or a number of other ways to fill that space with a bed once the atv is out. I used to race with a couple guys who've done what I suggested. Some with fab skills and the project turned out nice, other with zero skills but lots of ambition, who's projects I would drive behind for more than 100 yards.

Another idea is to stick a slide in truck camper, or tent trailer on the front of a car trailer to be able to haul the toys and sleeping arrangements. I just picked up a 16' car trailer last weekend, and have plans to do something similar. Actually a hybrid idea of the toy hauler/camper.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I am hauling with a 2500 Ram so not worried about hitch weight, better to much hitch weight than not enough.

Comment

Fairly simple to go to a removable adapter design like is used on a gooseneck converter for a bumper pull travel and have the best of both worlds.

Stretching the trailer frame without trussing the assembly from front X to hitch will deliver a galloping trailer with the Xs that far back and even with a torque tube it may look like a pigs tail after a bumpy road.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
          Any plan to move the axles forward? I've seen those rigs for years, and while it seems like a great idea, to me it falls under the "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" category. WAY too much tongue weight. The homemade ones I mean. The commercial ones look a bit better, but still hokey.

IMO you're better off putting your fab skills to use making a ramp door in the back of the camper, and hauling your atv inside. Use a drop down bed, or a number of other ways to fill that space with a bed once the atv is out. I used to race with a couple guys who've done what I suggested. Some with fab skills and the project turned out nice, other with zero skills but lots of ambition, who's projects I would drive behind for more than 100 yards.

Another idea is to stick a slide in truck camper, or tent trailer on the front of a car trailer to be able to haul the toys and sleeping arrangements. I just picked up a 16' car trailer last weekend, and have plans to do something similar. Actually a hybrid idea of the toy hauler/camper.
          Sorry not interested to purchase a car hauler trailer
          The way the interior is layed out it is not favorable to build a ramp door off the back end and drive atv inside.
          Only use this trailer for hunting season and winter camping.

Comment

I see now. Depending on the interior layout, some trailers are more easily modified than others. Yours wouldn't be easy and would have to be a complete gut job to move everything around.

Were you planning on running the new frame all the way down? or just extending the tongue so to speak from in front of the axles?

If it were me I'd at least run new structural 5" channel (could probably get away with 4", but I tend to lean towards overbuilding stuff a bit) from behind the axles and stitch weld along the flanges, with a few fish plates tying into the old frame. Remounting the spring hangers to the new frame. Essentially building a new trailer underneath the old one. Run some 3" channel for cross members, and some wood decking up front. Not sure the areas you're heading in to, but that would get you another 5" of ground clearance to the trailer hard parts too. If you only plan on hauling one atv sideways you could get away with just an extra 4'. You've got a few options for the tongue. Under slung tube, or bent channel sub frame. You might even be able to use a one piece bent channel for the whole thing depending on overall length.

Yeah, that might be overkill, but you've got the truck to tow it, and I hate janky trailer setups. If you've got the welding and fabrication skills, you might be able to splice into the existing frame up near the tongue, but that might be more trouble than it's worth without separating the frame from the cab. The path of least resistance would be to marry it on top IMO.

Sounds like a fun project. Personally I'm not a fan of tube, or boxes in frames on road going things. I like open channel. No where for the rust to hide and eat away from the inside. I've looked at many trailers the past 2 years before finding the miska channel frame I just bought and all the tube ones were really starting to rust away from the inside. By the time you see the rust it's too late.

Excuse the quick and dirty ms paint job.

Comment

thanks Dan for the reply, To save time and effort, I plan to stacking the new channel under the old frame for 3 feet from the front. I am not able to move the axles forward at all because of where the fenders and the entrance door are. so I do not see the need to remove the spring hangers and weld onto new frame.
              I will sticch along the flanges of the channel and then fish plate both frame channels from top to bottom. Also plan to put cross braces between frame rails near the rear and front of frame.

I am also not worried about length as I am quite used to pulling double trailers.
              This is my summer camping rig....63 ft. total.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by dstebner; 02-18-2020, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X