No announcement yet.

How much current to weld 5/8" thick aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Millermatic Syncrowave 180, when I have to weld aluminum that thick, I will vee out the area and have my buddy preheat the part with my rosebud torch. Then I will jump in with the pedal matted, if I can't make a puddle form, then more preheat and try again. Once you get a puddle flowing you will be able to throttle back and fill the damage. Like it has been said before, throttle back at the end to let the area cool slightly and hopefully not crack.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
      They make grinding wheels for a 4-1/2" grinder specifically for aluminum and stainless. They work really well and don't clog up.
      I just ordered and received some of those flap disks. They have a coating that stops the aluminum from clinging and plugging the disk. They work excellent.

Comment

Looking at where the break is and the threaded hole probably needing filled drilled and tapped, my solution would be to notch out that section and fabricate a new “foot” with a drilled and tapped hole and weld “behind” where the break occurred. Easier to achieve a clean weld and as others have stated, you have the welder to handle the job

Comment

From 1/8 to 1/4 I can pretty much wallow around (MIG) like I was welding steel. With 3/8 I had to massively preheat. I think that's the only chance you have with 5/8. Lots of preheat. Sorry. Haven't TIGed any aluminum yet.
          *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

By the way, I'd break it right off with a hammer, then vee it down to leaving just a thin root by the threads. The edges of a crack like that kind of 'key' the two parts together in perfect alignment. You won't get that if you just try to weld the crack. Then weld it back together in multiple passes and run a drill and tap back in the hole. Also that is really 5/8" thick material like a piece of plate. So you will want to preheat the large piece to about 500 F or the little piece will melt before it welds.

Comment

did it work?

Comment

My apologies for not posting the results of this project. I always try to followup especially if I ask for help.

Anyway, I had two new pieces water jetted out of 5/8" steel with the hopes that it will never break again. The new pieces fit perfectly and the cuttermaster tool & cutter grinder works great.

To those that offered advice I thank you again.

Comment

Working...
                X