TIG Welder Advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIG Welder Advise

Well, my last TIG was a Miller Diversion 180. OK for thin material, 3 months out of warranty, it blew the inverter board. I swear it did not have more than 10 hours of actual welding time, and I always observed the duty cycle. Miller would not help out, and it was $1300 for the board. It is not worth fixing, and the thing had an abysmal duty cycle anyways. Now I am thinking of something else. I'm a little soured on Miller after my experience with their disposable welder. I want to support American companies, but the Diversion said assembled in the USA. None of the electronic parts in these things are manufactured here. The price of inverter technology has dropped considerably, but you would not know it by the prices of these offering from American companies. I feel like I would be paying a huge premium for an American welder filled with Chinese parts.

That said, I was kinda looking at the Syncrowave 210, but the Everlast 210EXT seems to be on par for over $1000 less. I could bump up to the 255EXT and get a water cooler for less than the 210. Everlast has a 5 year warranty, although I have read the company is run by rude dickheads. I have been looking at the used market, and an older Syncrowave 250 might be an option, but it is not an inverter machine, so bulky and heavy. And there is the possibility of an old machine breaking down, parts not being available, or so expensive it is not worth fixing. The ESAB 205ci sure looks nice, but now I'm breaking 3 grand. Looking for opinions/advice? Am I wrong about Miller? Is my experience not the norm? Am I suffering from confirmation bias? What are you using that you have had a good experience with?
    Last edited by junkaddict; 06-19-2020, 07:09 PM.

I would seriously look at HTP 221, great machine, made in Italy by Stel. Hard to find a bad word on the product. Customer service is very good, no dickheads there. I think that both Lincoln and Miller are going to have to rethink their business model with all the new competition out there and not bending over to service their customers considering what they pay for their product. Yes, I have both the red and blue machines and the HTP.

Comment

I had not heard of HTP. I'll look into reviews on the product, and put it into consideration.

Comment

Here is their website,
        https://800usaweld.com

Comment

These get excellent reviews and the price can't be beat. Another plus is they come with a genuine CK torch and super flex cable.
          https://primeweld.com/products/tig-2...SAAEgJYffD_BwE

Comment

I love my 210EXT with cooler!! A GREAT set-up!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5009.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	3.18 MB
ID:	1882507

Comment

Worth noting, Everlast and AHP are located in the same building in San Francisco. They claim to be different companies etc but it makes one wonder.

Comment

I like my AHP 200x and have needed no service. At one time they had a reputation for being easy to work with once you finally got their attention, but you had to pay shipping. Some folks found that to be a problem. As of a few years ago AHP and Everlast were related. Not sure if it's still the case.

Dan
                At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

I bought an AHP 200x about 2.5 to 3 years ago through Amazon for just under $700 including tax. Shipping was covered under Amazon Prime.
                  The price has probably increased.
                  I have not had any problems with it but the pedal is not the greatest. I have been thinking about buying a different one.
                  This is my first TIG machine so I am still learning to use it well.
                  I like the machine and it seems to do everything I need for now.

Comment

Thank you for all the input. I'm leaning hard toward pulling the trigger on the HTP 221. Everything I've watched so far points to is being a nice machine.

Comment

Originally posted by junkaddict View Post
                      Thank you for all the input. I'm leaning hard toward pulling the trigger on the HTP 221. Everything I've watched so far points to is being a nice machine.
                      I think you will be very happy with it. Are you getting the dual voltage model?

Comment

Originally posted by Frugalguido View Post

I think you will be very happy with it. Are you getting the dual voltage model?
                        At $500 more for the dual voltage, I think I'm going the single voltage model.

Comment

I have the single voltage model, really don't do any field work.

Comment

Originally posted by junkaddict View Post

At $500 more for the dual voltage, I think I'm going the single voltage model.
                            Did you do it?
                            I'm looking at the same situation of having a Diversion 180 that needs repair and thinking "after tossing money at a repair I'll have a no-feature, no-duty cycle Diversion 180."
                            I'm considering the Primeweld or the Everlast 250EX which I see has a 5 year warranty for 2020.
                            Len

Comment

Working...
                            X