Welding on pliers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding on pliers

I have to fabricate a special tool, welding steel onto the jaws of a pair of slip-joint pliers (like these https://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-slip-joint-pliers-63818.html ).

I have a MIG welder- should I preheat the pliers jaws first or is that unnecessary?

I have done things like that with no preheat
    Ed
    Agua Dulce, So.California
    1950 F1 street rod
    1949 F1 stock V8 flathead
    1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed
    1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame have a 4BT cummins motor, NV4500
    1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor, king coil-overs,P/S

Comment

If the welder is larger than the tiniest Lincoln unit, you should be able to do it directly. But if you feel you may lack power, preheat will help.

Even the low power units do OK with smaller pieces of thick material, even if they fail with large pieces. Small pieces heat up so fast that preheat may not be needed with low-mass pliers.
      2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Preheat won’t hurt the welding.
        it probably won’t help either, since steel does not conduct heat that quickly.
        it might be a problem for the plastic grips though.

Comment

Originally posted by fjk View Post
          Preheat won’t hurt the welding.
          it probably won’t help either, since steel does not conduct heat that quickly.
          it might be a problem for the plastic grips though.
          It can be helpful in achieving best possible weld strength. Depending on manufacturer the alloy used in pliers can be borderline high-carbon tool steel.
          With Cr-V steel like 6150 it is highly recommended to preheat the workpiece to prevent cracks.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'll preheat just on general principles.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlByrns View Post
              Thanks everyone. I'll preheat just on general principles.
              Good idea when doing small work with MIG. The filler is the sacrificial electrode that melts as soon as the arc is struck. The filler melts before the base metal starts to melt so it's easy to get a cold joint at the very beginning of the weld.
              At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Working...
              X