Need to Replace Liner in Wire Feed Welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to Replace Liner in Wire Feed Welder

I acquired an almost new inverter Flux Core Wire Welder that has a blockage in the wire feed liner. Could also be a kink. Wire feed freely by hand from the gun back or from the feed motor forward until it hits the blockage.

The manufacturer (or importer / brander) is no help with parts or instructions. The 10' Gun assembly is not a quick disconnect but installed in the machine similar to many import wire-feed welders (Harbor Freight, MIG 130...).

I see 15' replacement liners available for $10-$20 US and would like to try replacing the liner. *All I can find on YouTube are examples of higher quick disconnect guns being relined.

Has any body done this on a similar welder? Any Suggestions?
    Obviously I will need to shorten a 15' Liner down.

*Found one. Gun and welder are much older but close. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nia5UAq8we8
    Last edited by DS_park; 12-01-2020, 10:42 PM. Reason: Add link.

At the nozzle end you should find a set screw in the brass fixture that holds the tip. Loosening that set screw should allow the removal or separation of the brass fixture and expose the liner. At the spool end should be another brass fixture or nozzle that is mounted against the feed rollers. There should be a setscrew here as well. Undoing this one should release the liner as well. You shouldn’t have to dismount the whole gun. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironbearmarine View Post
      At the nozzle end you should find a set screw in the brass fixture that holds the tip. Loosening that set screw should allow the removal or separation of the brass fixture and expose the liner. At the spool end should be another brass fixture or nozzle that is mounted against the feed rollers. There should be a setscrew here as well. Undoing this one should release the liner as well. You shouldn’t have to dismount the whole gun. Best of luck.
      Pretty much explains it. When you open the gun end up take note of how long the liner is before you remove
      the setscrew. How far does it stick out of the brass body (normally a liner sticks out but what's important is
      where it sits in relation to the brass nozzle body).

The other thing to do is coil the gun up tightly before you trim the liner to length. This ensures that the liner is
      slightly in compression in the gun when in normal use. If you trim the liner to length with the gun stretched out
      and then tighten both set screws it may stretch slightly when used in certain positions. This stretching can open
      the gaps between the coils ever so slightly and allow dirt and debris to accumulate, thus reducing the life and
      efficiency of the liner...

Keith

Comment

Thank you Ironbearmarine and LKeith. Based on your advise I dug into the torch last night. Turns out the liner is permanently crimped to the gun connector bolt. (Very reasonably priced home shop welder) I can install a different liner but will have to make a bolt/liner clamp. Lathe time. On the plus side, unbeknownst to me, the vendor I bought it from sent me a complete replacement torch assembly. Welder will be back in service tomorrow and I have an interesting project adapting a liner to the now spare torch assembly.

Comment

Working...
        X