Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wmgeorge
    replied
    My oldest son is a damn good Union pipefitter / welder. He has TIGed and of course stick welded for years. He uses what the boss provides, sometimes its a nice Miller suitcase welder, sometimes its a old POS welder setting on the ground with 200 feet of lead. His apprentice makes the trip to adjust when needed. He knows how to scratch start and the rest. Welding HP steam and gas piping. PrimeWeld makes a decent welder but I had a excellent plasma cutter made by them.
    Flow meter / regulator plus argon tank are must haves.
    Last edited by wmgeorge; 12-22-2020, 11:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• epicfail48
    replied
    Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post
    To the OP You might look at the Used market I sold a made up TIG setup cheap. New It was scratch start, flow meter and regulator off eBay as was the torch and other supplies. I already knew how to TIG so scratch start and having to use with no foot petal was just a minor handicap, I could of course reach down and turn the amps down on the (while not welding) welder, but adjusting your speed is also the approved way. Did it work, sure did but it would be hard for a beginner to learn on.
    Thank you for addressing a key point, that the extra features arent necessary, they just make things easier. Im okay with things not being easy, just another thing to learn to do. Honestly, i prefer learning how to do things the hard way, way i see it is you wont always be in a situation where you have top-end gear with all the extra features, so it makes sense to start without them so you know the basics. Seen too many guys who learned how to do something on the latest and greatest completely fail at the basics, like guys who get into shooting, go out and buy a race gun but are completely unable to shoot with irons.

Thanks for mentioning PrimeWeld, hadnt seen that brand come up. The machine you linked to is still outside my price range, but theyve got a smaller unit with fewer bells and whistles thats inside my price range. Plus, and i dont get why everybody is ignoring this fact, if i need the pedal down the line its a $60 upgrade i can do then. No reason to start with it

Far as the courses go, ive got a buddy whos a union welder, figure ill bribe him with a 6-pack for a crash course

Leave a comment:

• wmgeorge
    replied
    To the OP You might look at the Used market I sold a made up TIG setup cheap. New It was scratch start, flow meter and regulator off eBay as was the torch and other supplies. I already knew how to TIG so scratch start and having to use with no foot petal was just a minor handicap, I could of course reach down and turn the amps down on the (while not welding) welder, but adjusting your speed is also the approved way. Did it work, sure did but it would be hard for a beginner to learn on.

USA made? Most of the new welders have the parts sourced in China PC boards and the like. For a hobbyist that one Primeweld is $400 or so, made in China. I have a Longevity suitcase welder that works great and it Could be a TIG. If you have some extra Christmas cash consider taking a night course at a high school or community college near you.

PS This Primeweld comes with Everything you need. The one you referenced did not.
    https://www.amazon.com/PRIMEWELD-TIG.../dp/B07BXHRBQ8

This Primeweld needs argon flow meter and regulator plus the tank of course. flow meter eBay $40 or so, tank local $150.
    https://www.amazon.com/PrimeWeld-Ct5...14ECTCB2&psc=1
    Last edited by wmgeorge; 12-21-2020, 09:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sparky_NY
    replied
    In your OP, you wrote "I have no idea what I am doing". Several people with experience told you that welder was a very bad idea. Yea, they offered alternatives that were a bit more, not a extra thousand ! A thousand more would buy TWO ahp welders ! The main point in the various replies were that you would be wasting your money on that particular one.

If you do buy it, man up and post back with pics of your welds and a report on how it works. Show all them elite posters just how wrong their advise was ! That follow-up post will separate the "jackasses" from the ones giving good advise.

(thread subscribed, don't want to miss that follow-up)

Leave a comment:

• epicfail48
    replied
    Originally posted by bborr01 View Post

Do you buy cheap import guns too? I'd wait until I could afford a decent welder. I can't imagine trying to tig without a foot pedal or gas. You get what you pay for. I can hear you in a few months saying how much tig welding sucks.
    Well, I build my AR, bought a savage axis because it's one of the cheapest reliable long-range, and the glock is austrian, so yeah, I did
    what the hell is with the elitism on this forum? You ask a question about a home shop class machine on a home shop forum and everybody crawls out of the woodwork to try to shame you for not dropping a thousand extra bucks on something

In case it helps de-stick someone's rear, let me repeat, this isn't a question of being able to afford something, so I don't need more condescending remarks about collecting cans to afford something. The budget is a number I chose, because that is the limit of what I'm choosing to spend on a toy. Yes, a toy. I don't run a business. This isn't a production environment. I'm not looking for, nor do I need, perfection. I'm looking for the most basic possible way to see if its something that would be worth spending more on in the future

Guess I keep forgetting that I'm on a forum of silver-spoon jackasses who think that the only way you deserve to do anything is if you buy top-shelf american

Leave a comment:

• bborr01
    replied
    Originally posted by epicfail48 View Post
    Well, like i mentioned, im aware that a larger, more capable machine can do more. Im also aware that a ferrari can go faster than most cars. I dont need to go fast, so i drive a 30 year old f150. By the same token, i dont need to weld aluminium, so lacking that capability isnt a drawback. Again, not looking for the last welder ill ever buy with all the bells and whistles. At $700, the AHP isnt just over my limit, its double, and the limit it just that, a limit. I have $400 to spend on the machine, thats it. Its not a question of saving up, $400 is what ill spend on the machine

Glad someone has experience with the Lotos brand. I saw the machine get pretty good reviews, and it seems like a decent starting point, but i always like checking to see what else people have used that meets the requirements
    Do you buy cheap import guns too? I'd wait until I could afford a decent welder. I can't imagine trying to tig without a foot pedal or gas. You get what you pay for. I can hear you in a few months saying how much tig welding sucks.

Leave a comment:

• BigMike782
    replied
    This info is given from my perspective and intended to help.
    DC stick machine, 9 series(125 amp) or 17 series(150 amp) air cooled TIG torch,105Z57 power cable adapter, flow gauge, gas hose and 80 cf cylinder of argon.
    If you have the power source you can probably secure the other items for about your budget.
    You will have scratch start DC(mild steel and stainless steel only) capabilities and no amperage control.
    $400.00 is a really low number to try and hit considering the additional things you will need to get going even on a basic level.
    Tig welding at this level is going to be a real struggle for a beginner.

Leave a comment:

• rbertalotto
    replied
    I'm on my third TIG machine.....Started out with a huge Miller EconoTIG.....Didn't have enough electricity in my shop to run a big transformer machine like this. Sold it and bought a Miller Diversion 165....Great welder but limited in capability. Sold it for $50 more than I paid for it nearly 10 years later!

Lots and lots of research and bought a Primeweld TIG225 .......WOW! Simply amazing machine for the money. Even at twice the prioce! High quality hardware. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING included (just need gas). CK torch, industrial foot pedal, excellent glass gas regulator, great manual.....all for $799 shipped (Amazon)

My TIG welding on Aluminum and Stainless jumped up 5X in quality over the Miller products. I thought it was me, but a good, stable welder will make you a better welder.

Collect bottles and cans, shovel snow, get a part time job......save up another $400 and get a Primeweld TIG225 ........ One of the best decisions you'll ever make

Leave a comment:

• Sparky_NY
    replied
    Originally posted by john buck View Post
    Most of these cheaper welders are made in china. Even if it's still under warranty when it breaks you still have to pay for shipping it to the seller and him
    sending back a repaired or replacement welder. Guess how much that costs? Chinese welders are well known to break down.
    Partly true.... For the AHP, they pay shipping both ways to their US facility for the first 30 days, for the remainder of the 3 years you have to pay shipping (68lbs to Tenn). The warranty is one of the perks for the Primeweld Tig225, they pay shipping both ways for the full 3 years. Both brands are sold directly by the companies US facilities(brick and mortar), no middleman.

BTW Its NOT just the cheap welders that are made in china, some of the big name models are made there now also ! Its also not uncommon for the big name machines to break down also, if a board fails out of warranty often the machine is not repaired due to the outrageous cost of boards. Big name pc boards often cost more than the complete import welder package !

Here is a typical example ! https://www.airgas.com/product/Weldi...s/p/LING4551-2
    Last edited by Sparky_NY; 12-18-2020, 09:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• john buck
    replied
    Most of these cheaper welders are made in china. Even if it's still under warranty when it breaks you still have to pay for shipping it to the seller and him
    sending back a repaired or replacement welder. Guess how much that costs? Chinese welders are well known to break down.

Leave a comment:

• Tungsten dipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post

The primeweld TIG225 is even a better deal than the AHP I think. It has much better quality torch/hose (genuine CK worldwide) and a better warranty (they pay shipping). Both get good reviews and are very close in price.
    CK Worldwide is a first class company!

Leave a comment:

• Sparky_NY
    replied
    Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
    I understand your budget and your set price. I do think you are setting yourself up with failure. Foot pedals, and etc are important. I can see your welder sitting in a corner, not used, because you got frustrated learning. More importantly, your welds will fail due to lack experience. Buy something that if you decide you don't want to do this anymore, it is worth reselling. TIG welding is not easy!
    All excellent advise ! The importance of a foot pedal cannot be overstated !
    Last edited by Sparky_NY; 12-18-2020, 07:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sparky_NY
    replied
    Originally posted by DrMike View Post
    Thanks, Sparky_NY. I've been following this thread hoping someone might come along with a suggestion for a budget yet capable 120/240 AC/DC TIG so aluminum is a possibility. For me, aluminum is definitely in the mix. Looking at that price point of $750-$800, there seem to be several 200 amp, AC/DC 120/240V machines from several manufacturers.

I hate - HATE - having to buy a bunch of accessories to make a basic machine capable of working. The fact that the AHP comes with a foot pedal and flow meter is important, for me. A foot pedal and flow meter aren't "bells and whistles," they are essential parts of TIG, so they have to be there. Add the consumables (argon, tungsten, rod) and you are welding.

YMMV, but I'm okay with knowing the price point I need for my needs and saving for that goal.
    The primeweld TIG225 is even a better deal than the AHP I think. It has much better quality torch/hose (genuine CK worldwide) and a better warranty (they pay shipping). Both get good reviews and are very close in price.

Leave a comment:

• Tungsten dipper
    replied
    I understand your budget and your set price. I do think you are setting yourself up with failure. Foot pedals, and etc are important. I can see your welder sitting in a corner, not used, because you got frustrated learning. More importantly, your welds will fail due to lack experience. Buy something that if you decide you don't want to do this anymore, it is worth reselling. TIG welding is not easy!

Leave a comment:

• danlb
    replied
    You will rapidly learn that a pedal is essential for doing more than tack welding. You need to vary the heat to allow a quick puddle and then again to reduce overheating and blowing through.

Dan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X