• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a given.
    3751 6193 2700 3517

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
      I figured a 180 was about right. The 0.001 per amp deal has some "give" at higher ratings, but I found 150A to be a little light for thicker sections.

Not quite asking the same question as others. Probably should have made it clearer.

The real issue is that I want, if possible, to avoid any welders that have nice new ever-so-much-better $800 electronics boards in them. Miller has been complained about due to their "throw away" machines (replacing a board is 25% more expensive than buying a new welder), for example. And, anything specialized lke the PCB on an import may be NLA the week after the machine is bought, if it was ever available.

Looking for something simple and if possible non-electronic, but for which the consumables are still easily available.

NOT stuck on buying new. Used comes up fairly regularly around here, but there are a wide variety of items and I do not know them all, nor how available consumables are (an issue for mig) for them.
      Best bet may be to search on HGR Surplus. I have seen decent vintage Miller machines there for anywhere between 300 to 800. These are usually the full-size industrial machines (EG the Miller CP-300) with or without the model 22 wire drive. Support for these both OEM and aftermarket is tremendous. Drawback is size and weight. Advantage is that it'll probably outlive you. Link for HGR with a search for Miller, sorted by price from lowest to highest. I note they have a 200-amp MIG unit available for $129: https://hgrinc.com/?all=1&view&aisle...pe&last_chance

NOTE the wire drives are sold separately.... prices so low it doesn't matter.
      Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 01-09-2021, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Here ya go: Lincoln Power Mig 300, runs on 1 phase 230, asking $500
        https://hgrinc.com/productDetail/Wel...-/07201060019/

Comment

So HGR Surplus is located in Ohio, what do you think his shipping costs would be on a 300 lb welder?
          Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

Nearly zero except for gas, other than the fact that I have not been up to visit family there since this covid crap went off the rails. They are an hour out, and I have a nearly half ton capacity pickup.

But I do not want to have to feed that monster. I DID learn on a huge Miller, so I'm OK with that part. but prefer a tad less than that, even though the miller was good doing 1/4" steel. I'd just get a Lincoln tombstone stick welder if I wanted to do heavy sections.... the AC/DC version for choice, The big miller was both stick and mig.
            3751 6193 2700 3517

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post
              So HGR Surplus is located in Ohio, what do you think his shipping costs would be on a 300 lb welder?
              It would cost me a tank of gas and a full Saturday. HGR is about 190 miles for me. Likely the same for JTiers. I actually drove 600 miles for my lathe in the middle of COVID, down to eastern PA and back. Because sometimes you will only get one chance on a deal.

I note the smaller Lincoln mig offered is quite a bit lighter than the big Millers -- two guys can manhandle them around. We have both types of welders where I work. If I was gonna buy a stick/TIG box, it would be a Miller Dial Arc which goes about 750 lbs. They are dirt cheap nowadays.
              Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 01-10-2021, 10:46 AM.

Comment

About 590 miles. But I have not been up there for over a year to visit the relatives (where I am is a Covid hot spot, so we do not want to bring in virus and infect anyone). Not at a convenient distance, not the machine I want.
                3751 6193 2700 3517

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

I have a Hobart Handler 120, good machine for very light duty stuff,not really enough power for anything larger than 1/4". Have a used ESAB Migmaster 250, a large beast that will do anything ,although I run it with C25 and have never used flux core on it. I have a Lincoln 180 at work, good running small machine,also used with gas but the one time I ran flux core it ran fine. (I don't weld outside much and prefer the results of gas shielded vs. flux) I have used a Lincoln 275, also a good smooth machine , more bells and whistles, also a beast though. Getting a smaller dual voltage machine is a good idea for the versatility, get the most amp capacity. Jim

Comment

Nicest machine I have run was an old transformer Lincoln 150 stick/tig. But even though I like tig a lot, it's a no-go for me. At that point a tombstone is much cheaper with more amps stick.
                    3751 6193 2700 3517

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                      Nicest machine I have run was an old transformer Lincoln 150 stick/tig. But even though I like tig a lot, it's a no-go for me. At that point a tombstone is much cheaper with more amps stick.
                      Believe it or not, your local craiglist may be the best bet for a tombstone. I got mine for $75 that way, in working condition. They rarely go for more than $200 used, at least in my area -- they're everywhere.

Comment

I can't contribute much yet, but I just purchased the Lincoln 140 mig / flux.
                        I sold the lawn mower shop to my son and always thought we needed a smaller
                        welder for mower decks. I used the latest stimulus $$ to get one for 500. Another
                        reason is my grandson is taking welding in HS. I feel obligated to try and expose
                        younger kids to as much as possible.
                        I just had a hip replaced so it will be awhile before I get to play with it.
                        olf20 / Bob

Comment

I don't know how old Jerry is but I am downsizing my shop for an easy move. My stick welder is a dual voltage DC inverter Longevity 140 amps that has a decent duty cycle and the MIG is also a inverter 120 volt only, flux core only a Century made by Lincoln now. They are very efficient and draw few amps even on higher settings. I can carry either one without a issue and weld every thing I need to do.
                          Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Believe it or not, your local craiglist may be the best bet for a tombstone. I got mine for $75 that way, in working condition. They rarely go for more than $200 used, at least in my area -- they're everywhere.
                            I totally get that, and agree 240%. I would not consider any new tombstone unit at all. Used from CL is the deal, unless it is found at a tag sale. The old ones are almost unkillable.

Mig/flux from CL has been poor. Every jackass has one and ones I have looked at so far have not worked for a reason I cannot spot, the sellers got to keep them, and were left basically saying "gee it worked before I dropped it in the pool accidentally, and then left it out in the rain, why don't it work now?".
                            Last edited by J Tiers; 01-12-2021, 12:50 AM.
                            3751 6193 2700 3517

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                              Here ya go: Lincoln Power Mig 300, runs on 1 phase 230, asking $500
                              https://hgrinc.com/productDetail/Wel...-/07201060019/
                              Down to $348 now

Comment

It would be nice if they wiped the dust and dirt off the PowerMIG and had it plugged into power to at least show the displays working. It looks to be a multi purpose DC machine stick,TIG and MIG of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X