striker lighters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• striker lighters

what is the reason your supposed to use these contraptions to light the flame when welding? (not even sure its the proper name.)

Good question. I thought that part of the reason for the design is that it has that cup to form a pool of gas to ignite. This might work better than trying to light a stream of gas as it shoots past the flint.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Forming a pool of gas to ignite sounds good.

I always thought it was to keep from having to juggle a match and the torch and the knobs all at once.
      And, of course, to keep your hand away from the upcoming jet of flame.

Comment

I always just assumed that it was simply much more convenient than using an open flame made by a match or whatever.

Comment

I know in alcohol one, the fire helps to heat th bottle to build pressure
          Ed
          Agua Dulce, So.California
          1950 F1 street rod
          1949 F1 stock V8 flathead
          1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed
          1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame have a 4BT cummins motor, NV4500
          1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor, king coil-overs,P/S

Comment

Cause if the jet of gas doesnt ignite, it can blow out the flame from a match or lighter, and then youve got flammable gas building up in the area. Cant blow out burning magnesium

Comment

magnesium? no idea, is part of the striker magnesium? i never had one.

i have always used one of these, but the pros seem to be using the striker and i remember reading somewhere that was the proper way to do it:

Last edited by dian; 01-07-2021, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't light an oxy-acetylene torch with a hand-held container of flammable gas from the dollar store. Maybe in a pinch, after the butane was gone just for the spark, but better, and safer, options exist.

Comment

Well because they work. No flame to to blow out in a windstorm, can be operated with heavy gloves on, and not all have a cup on them. A good design reduced to it's simplest form.

lg
                  no neat sig line
                  near Salem OR

Comment

Originally posted by Ed ke6bnl View Post
                    I know in alcohol one, the fire helps to heat th bottle to build pressure
                    ???

Comment

At work we used this type exclusively. But we had to blow a hole in the cup to prevent gas build up and a possible explosion. With welding gloves on these are a lot easier to manipulate

Comment

You’re kidding right? Possible explosion? In a striker cup that’s open on one side?

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post
                          magnesium? no idea, is part of the striker magnesium? i never had one.

i have always used one of these, but the pros seem to be using the striker and i remember reading somewhere that was the proper way to do it:

Thought it was magnesium, could just be flint. Either way the sparks are more reliable than a lighter flame that could easily be blown out

Comment

Propane or butane lighters of any kind are deadly around welding. A hot spark can burn right through the plastic tank and cause a fireball. I remember hearing of a guy with a butane lighter in his shirt pocket getting severely burned when a hot spark landed in his pocket.

Comment

AFAIK the cup helps lighting. I know if there is any wind, I get the cup over the edge of the burner and then squeeze it. The mix is trapped in there and lights.

Dunni about a hole.... yeah it may light with a sharp pop, but....?????
                              2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Working...
                              X