Welding a "blade" from a pneumatic trim nailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding a "blade" from a pneumatic trim nailer

I have an old trim gun and the blade that forces the nail into the wood has cracked and broken. This is very hard material. I'm wondering if I can weld it and still have it hold uo. It is about 6" long but only about 1/8" thick. It's a T shape with the stem of the T fitting into a channel of the frame.
    I have a torch and MIG but no TIG.
    Thanks! Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210202-084020.png
Views:	185
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	1925540 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210202-084020.png
Views:	171
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	1925541

I’ll try and fix a lot of things but I don’t think I would spend the time.
    If I were to attempt it I would most definitely TIG it.
    yes, I see he said he doesn’t have TIG.
    Last edited by BigMike782; 02-02-2021, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Ok thanks.
      This part is 50.00 and the gun is not worth putting the $in it

Comment

Have you checked after market sources like eReplacement? There are a number of third party sources for power tool parts that are worth a look. Often I have ordered parts and received them in OEM packaging.

Isn't Paslode a top of the field professional nail gun maker? Are you sure its not worth fixing right? If you need the gun isn't the part still cheaper than a new gun?

If a new part just wasn't available I think I would be tempted to machine a new one. It would not be an under $50 project, but how you value your time is a personal thing.
        *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

I failed at welding it. Give the shape and material I am not going to try to make one. It was originally a high dollar gun and replacing it with another of the same quality is not going to happen so it looks like spending the $ is in the future.
          Thanks

Comment

I didn't see it was a "trim" nailer at first. I've got two lesser brands. Both have seen a bit of use. My Deville Biss struggles with anything longer than half inch pins in hard wood. My Hitachi will drive 2 inch pins, and if its to hard it just cleaves between the fibers and turns, but the pin goes in, and sometimes out the side if that's the path it finds.
            *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
              I didn't see it was a "trim" nailer at first. I've got two lesser brands. Both have seen a bit of use. My Deville Biss struggles with anything longer than half inch pins in hard wood. My Hitachi will drive 2 inch pins, and if its to hard it just cleaves between the fibers and turns, but the pin goes in, and sometimes out the side if that's the path it finds.
              I'm not familiar with the DeVilbiss brand of nailer. I also have a Hitachi 1/4" stapler that is a great tool.
              This paslode is a 16ga and, when it worked, would so as you describe. Never complained.
              I very rarely use this gun anymore which is one reason spending another 50 on it is not practical. Doesn't mean I won't do it though 🙄

Comment

Back about 20? years ago;

Had a Porter Cable trim gun. This was being used at an extremely high professional level,being thoroughly maxed 5 days a week. Broke that drive "blade" one day.... this was at a time when these guns were relatively expensive,with not a lot of options or choices. So that evening,without ANY reservations,Tigged it up. That lasted about 6 months of showing it no mercy. Then it broke again.....

Tigged that one up,and it lasted a few weeks. Finally grabbed another gun. It went maybe 5 years and same thing happened.

So yes,they can be Tigged up,how long it lasts?

Good luck with your project.

Comment

I'd love to have a TIG welder.

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post
                    I'd love to have a TIG welder.
                    I know you would LOL
                    One of the most used pieces of equipment in my shop.

Comment

Working...
                    X